Hi, I've recently been diagnosed as Type2 diabetic. This has come about due to a severe gallstone attack last october causing pancreatitis. That led to inflamation, then necrosis of my pancreas over Xmas 2011. I ended up losing 80% of my pancreas. The remaining 20% seemed to be working ok and coping with the adjusted diet I'd put myself on following the near fatal pancreatitis. Sadly that coping declined in mid October and my GP diagnosed me as having secondary type2 diabetes. My HbA1C was 30 and my bg test was the same. He and the diabetci nurse put me on Gliclazide straight away and over the last few weeks I've done some more minor adjustments to my diet and am now keeping my bg between 5 and 9. It's all been a whirlwind again following me thinking I'd just got my life and mental state back on trak a year on from the major incident (I was also hosptilised in Feb 2012 with a 20cm pancreatic pseudocyst that was the 2nd near miss!) Doing some reading, it seems that gliclazide essentially causes what remaing islets I've got to produce a bit more insulin - but this will eventually cause them to 'burn-out' and then I'll be on insulin. The question in my mind is if this is the right medication for me at this time or if metformin might be better and place less stress on the remains of my pancreas?