1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Sheffield University are conducting a study on food and activity logging among people with type 2 diabetes. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A special note to parents.

Discussion in 'Parents' started by catherinecherub, Jun 8, 2015.

1. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

• Like Like x 8
  2. gemma.88

gemma.88 · Active Member

That's brill Hun my son is 8 so not yet hit teenage years but I'm dreading it already, hope I can do the things in this article lol x

• Like Like x 2
  3. Allaboutbg

Allaboutbg Type 1 · Member

Thanks so much for that link- not just to that info on that page but to the site itself. I thoroughly recommend it. Even though we have access through our hospital to psychologists and dieticians etc. what we really need is help for us PARENTS with how to manage our 12 year old who is starting to rebel against diabetes management as her independence grows. I was doing most of the things they say not to do!

4. ikrobinson

ikrobinson Parent · Newbie

Hi There, I am a parent and my daughter has Type 1 insulin dependent diabetes. ( hereditary my Grandmother) I am new to this forum. My daughter is now 25years old and has advance retinopathy, from poor control of her diabetes as a teenager. Her loss of sight / compromised sight started 3 years ago. Is any parent out there with similar circumstances as us? it would be great to hear from you, share experiences and handy tips.
    From Imogen

5. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Imogen. I'm afraid I can't help with any experience of retinopathy or teenage rebellion, but I just wanted to say that you might recieve a better response if you asked @DCUKMod to move your post to its own thread - the thread you have posted on is over 2 years old so may not get a lot of visits, and it doesn't seem all that related to what you are asking. It might also help if you could expand on what exactly the circumstances are: does your daughter live at home with you? What is the condition of her sight? How is she currently managing her diabetes and what is her hba1c? Are you seeking tips to deal with vision issues or diabetic control?

• Like Like x 1
  6. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @ikrobinson
    welcome to the forum -- as @catapillar suggests , I can move your post to it's own topic where you might get a better response.

I am really sorry to hear of your daughter's issues -- my heart really goes out to your whole family.
    I have some issues with my sight but totally different circumstances -- 45 years type 1 here !!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook