1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A Swansea Visit.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wiflib, Aug 14, 2011.

1. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Absolutely NOTHING to do with diabetes.

My daughter and her family are now living in Swansea (I'm in Leicester) and after my night shift tonight, I'm going to visit Wales for the very first time.

They're not far from a beach so at least two days will be spent there but what I would like to know is the places the locals or those in the know go to. I love quirky little shops, little known touristy places and buying local food and I reckon there are one or two of you here that can tell me :D

wiflib

2. borofergie

borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Dylan Thomas called Swansea "an ugly, lovely town".

3. wiflib

That seems to be my daughters opinion so far too!

I'll let you know next week ;-)

wiflib

4. Robbieowen55

Robbieowen55 · Member

Hiya!

You need to check out the mumbles loads of nice places to eat and some quirky shops etc!

Also you must check out the Gower oxwich bay and port eynon and also Swansea Marina!

Hope you enjoy our lovely ugly town!

5. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There's a couple of great botanic gardens - Clyne Gardens to the west has the tallest sequoia in the UK, and there's a botanic centre quite close to the centre of town which has opened since I left Wales. A good museum, if you like them, and what's left of an important castle.

Swansea beach is lovely. Also keep your eyes open for ravens, which can often be seen around the beach area, and there used to be a pair of peregrine falcons that nested on the post office tower every year.

Have a good time - there's some better weather forecast :D

Viv 8)

6. wiflib

See? I knew you lot would come up trumps.

Thanks guys, wifib.

7. ally5555

ally5555 · Well-Known Member

Also go a bit further around the coast three cliffs bay and a beach called Horton - it is fab a hidden treasure.

The national botanic gardens as well. Go a bit further and you have all the family things near Tenby like Folly Farm, - my kids loved it.

Go to Cardiff - it is such a lovely city , visit Castell Coch near Cardiff and Cardiff Castle , St Fagans Folk Museum is just amazing.

Wales is a hidden treasure!

Croseo i Gymru - Welcome to Wales

8. bowell

bowell · Well-Known Member

Swansea umm The Severn Bridge

My firm booked me into a real Nasty Hotel Overnight ,,it had a Red neon light saying Hotel :roll:

On the door to my room it said bang your boots off, Before you enter the room :shock:
    Over the basin in the room (not on-suite) DO NOT P:SS IN THE BASIN PLEASE :shock:
    The bed did not look too clever ether
    i asked how much it was to stay the night told £8 per night if you want the Breakfast :?

I left and went up the road and happily paid £50

Just tried to find it on Google Map its now a Indian restaurant,,

Bob

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook