1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A whole night of Hypo's

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by tomvonc, Mar 14, 2014.

1. tomvonc

tomvonc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So I'm soaked in sweat, been vomiting, have not slept since 1:30am, and only just eased by BM to over 3.9, crashed down to my lowest ever, below 1.2 as it wouldn't register on my meeter. Felt like I was in a golden mist and everything was in extreme slow motion and I was floating, don't know how I managed to test. Thank God for wallpaper paste (GlucoGel). What a horrible night, Think I have a bug or soemthing, but was under the impression illness raised BM. Still what a f&*king night :-(

2. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

Sounds terrible, glad you've managed to deal with it. Bear in mind that the next 24hrs after a hypo may vary wildly again. Keep testing. You got any idea why it happened ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

3. tomvonc

Spoke to a pal who is also T1. I went to the Gym a couple of days ago, first time I have done any serious exercise since before I was diagnosed. He seems pretty certain that a heavy workout after a break can have a delayed action.

4. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

He's right. Cardio generally lowers BG and you need to either reduce insulin or take a snack.

5. Lucie75

Lucie75 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just goes to show exercise isn't always good for you :p

Seriously though, listen to mo1905 - keep testing today, your bg might be all over the place for the most part. Hopefully you'll manage to get good readings before bed tonight.

6. SandyDee

SandyDee Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Being ill generally gives high readings, but as I'm sure you've realised everyone is different. I nearly always go low when ill, to the extent of ending up in intensive care in Turkey in a diabetic coma for 3 days!! I've learned not to take 'usually' for granted.

7. Dzialo

Dzialo · Well-Known Member

I go to the gym so what I do is I check my sugar before I start and if it's normal (not high) than I eat something small like a chocolate or cookies because when you finish your exercises will bring it back down the the normal levels

Hope I helped :)

8. Omar101

Omar101 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hahahaha I've never had a workout destroy me like that. Are you sure you don't have any symptoms of a flu virus or food poisoning instead?

• Like Like x 2
  9. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh no, glad your ok,
    keep an eye on your bloods for a couple of days:)

10. tomvonc

Quite possibly. I was vomiting alot (stopped now, but still have ab pains).

11. RosieDred

RosieDred Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That sounds awful! I'm glad you managed to get them back up and you're okay. Rest up today if you can and take care

• Like Like x 2
  12. tomvonc

No danger of me doing anything otherwise. Im cucking fackered!

13. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

They say it can effect bg levels up to 24 hours after exercising but would be surprised if it had an effect 2 days later, but you never know.......

Is there any chance that you might have mistakenly taken your basal insulin twice? I did this once and had a hell of a time keeping my bg levels up.

14. tomvonc

Lol, trust me, I've done that one before and I REALLY knew about it! :)

15. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

So do you think that was the cause Tom :)

16. tomvonc

I would say a combination of exercise and and a wee stomach bug. I'll drive myself mad If I think about it too much. Just fancied a rant about it. Severe hypo's are particularly scary for me as I live alone :-(

17. AnnieC

AnnieC · Guest

I did read in the press a little while ago that vigorous excercise might not be good for diabetics that things like walking swimming and cycling could be better

18. Delphinum

Delphinum Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Illness sometimes dips my levels, a couple of weeks ago I was struggling to keep them up when I had the cold. Yet with other illnesses, it's been a horror to keep them down. Just don't exercise with BG over 13mmol, it bumps your sugar up rather than lower it. Hope you're feeling better soon, I live alone too so really bad hypoing in the night is always a terrifying prospect.

19. kimkennedy89

kimkennedy89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This sounds awful! I hope you're feeling better and never go through an episode like that again x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook