A whopping mistake with lentils!!!!!

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Just getting into the swing of things, and feeling great as I made my Golden Lentil Soup - just simple soup ... onions, red lentils, stock, a squeeze of garlic and the juice of half a lemon at the end. Thank God for lentils - had them before as accompaniments to curry, had them in my home made lentil and vegetable burgers - with wonderful results. Decided that this meal would be so saintly, I could have one slice of Burgen with it which I made into a little garlic bread.

Fabulous.

2 hours later, I was intrigued as to just how low my blood sugar would be and nearly fell over when I read 11.5mmol/l :eh:

Well, I have a lot to learn!! Now I know - that 100g of lentils contain 16g of carbs. I measured my portion , a whopping 350g of pure lentil soup, plus the 12g for the bread. Without realising, I had eaten an almost exclusively carb meal, containing more carbs in one sitting than I've been having in one day!!! I felt quite rough. :sick:

I imagine that when I've had my burgers or when I've had Dahl as part of a curry, it didn't spike my BG because I ate other stuff with it?? - like veggies and meat - so the load was more even with less chance of a carb spike?

You live and learn !!

millie_uk

I know how you feel. On Saturday I was in a cafe and couldn't see anything I could eat so opted for a medium bowl of home made tomato soup. It looked innocent enough and appeared to have cream in it as there was a whitish colour to it (might have been thickened with cornflour?) I had no bread with it, just the soup. 2 hours later - bg 10.8
So, another lesson learnt by me (I'm learning a lot of lessons the past few days)

I hadn't been in double figures for at least 6 weeks I don't think. 8)

SouthernGeneral6512

It' takes a bit of getting used to for example traditionaly if you want to put health first you have toast with just a little butter where as actually the butter is the healthy part and it's the bread that should be rationed :crazy:

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
In my case I've learned I have to cover each carb in lentils despite the DN saying not to. I was fed up getting high readings and feeling I'll.

Spiral

Red lentils send my blood sugar right up, as do split peas. But there are other pulses I can manage just fine, so long as I don't eat too many. Test!

Life without hummus would be unbearable.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
I agree. Couldn't live without it!

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Spiral said:
Life without hummus would be unbearable.

I've started to cover carbs in hummous too now :crazy: