1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A whopping mistake with lentils!!!!!

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by CathyN, Jul 10, 2012.

1. CathyN

CathyN Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just getting into the swing of things, and feeling great as I made my Golden Lentil Soup - just simple soup ... onions, red lentils, stock, a squeeze of garlic and the juice of half a lemon at the end. Thank God for lentils - had them before as accompaniments to curry, had them in my home made lentil and vegetable burgers - with wonderful results. Decided that this meal would be so saintly, I could have one slice of Burgen with it which I made into a little garlic bread.

Fabulous.

2 hours later, I was intrigued as to just how low my blood sugar would be and nearly fell over when I read 11.5mmol/l :eh:

Well, I have a lot to learn!! Now I know - that 100g of lentils contain 16g of carbs. I measured my portion , a whopping 350g of pure lentil soup, plus the 12g for the bread. Without realising, I had eaten an almost exclusively carb meal, containing more carbs in one sitting than I've been having in one day!!! I felt quite rough. :sick:

I imagine that when I've had my burgers or when I've had Dahl as part of a curry, it didn't spike my BG because I ate other stuff with it?? - like veggies and meat - so the load was more even with less chance of a carb spike?

You live and learn !!

2. millie_uk

millie_uk · Active Member

I know how you feel. On Saturday I was in a cafe and couldn't see anything I could eat so opted for a medium bowl of home made tomato soup. It looked innocent enough and appeared to have cream in it as there was a whitish colour to it (might have been thickened with cornflour?) I had no bread with it, just the soup. 2 hours later - bg 10.8
    So, another lesson learnt by me (I'm learning a lot of lessons the past few days)

I hadn't been in double figures for at least 6 weeks I don't think. 8)

3. SouthernGeneral6512

SouthernGeneral6512 · Well-Known Member

It' takes a bit of getting used to for example traditionaly if you want to put health first you have toast with just a little butter where as actually the butter is the healthy part and it's the bread that should be rationed :crazy:

4. Sanober

Sanober · Well-Known Member

In my case I've learned I have to cover each carb in lentils despite the DN saying not to. I was fed up getting high readings and feeling I'll.

5. Spiral

Spiral · Well-Known Member

Red lentils send my blood sugar right up, as do split peas. But there are other pulses I can manage just fine, so long as I don't eat too many. Test!

Life without hummus would be unbearable.

6. CathyN

CathyN Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree. Couldn't live without it!

7. Sanober

Sanober · Well-Known Member

I've started to cover carbs in hummous too now :crazy:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook