Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggh!

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
So it's Wednesday morning at 10.16 am UK. My morning free of the children (both at preschool/nursery) is supposed to free up my time a little so that I begin to think / plan / do something to get me back into working mode and to feel whole again.

I went to bed with my BG at 6.4mmol/ml - a good result. I didn't lower my basal as I should have done (previous days with good bedtime levels have strongly indicated that my night-time basal rate is too high) and so I woke with a 4.6.

Now those of you with the valhalla of control you're probably thinking "and what's wrong with that?" Whilst the rest of us still fighting the seven headed hydra are thinking "Wow, fantastic result!"

Except this. My BG reading was 4.6 but I know that I'm on the slide; well okay, that is simply treated and 4 dextrose 'Body Volt' tabs later (8.8g glucose) I was 5.1mmol/ml before breakfast - some 45 minutes on.

Well? I can hear you all riposte in utter disbelief that I should be so aggravated, but here's the thing: I'm rising at 5am as I've re-started morning exercises (primarily stretching, some light weights and sit ups) and so the 4.6 was a real spanner in the works. Talk about p!553d 0££.

So, instead of being able to pick up my guitar or do something else that needs doing during my 'free time', I'm having to sit down with my pump, laptop, configuration software and make some adjustments to the night-time basal.

I know I am so lucky to be on a pump - yes, it's more work, but the opportunity for really getting control are just, well, endless; it's just, well, (I'm sure you can all relate) "Fv<k!#g A man, Fv<k!#g A."

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggh!

Rant over. I shall shut up now, make the changes and hopefully have time for the six strings. :banghead:

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reduce your basal rate from 2 am onwards should reduce the drop in bg levels, I was basal testing myself last night but for the other reason (my bg levels have been getting slightly higher increasing by 1.5 -2mmol). Hope you get things sorted.

Reactions: 4 people

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So it's Wednesday morning at 10.16 am UK. My morning free of the children (both at preschool/nursery) is supposed to free up my time a little so that I begin to think / plan / do something to get me back into working mode and to feel whole again.

I went to bed with my BG at 6.4mmol/ml - a good result. I didn't lower my basal as I should have done (previous days with good bedtime levels have strongly indicated that my night-time basal rate is too high) and so I woke with a 4.6.

Now those of you with the valhalla of control you're probably thinking "and what's wrong with that?" Whilst the rest of us still fighting the seven headed hydra are thinking "Wow, fantastic result!"

Except this. My BG reading was 4.6 but I know that I'm on the slide; well okay, that is simply treated and 4 dextrose 'Body Volt' tabs later (8.8g glucose) I was 5.1mmol/ml before breakfast - some 45 minutes on.

Well? I can hear you all riposte in utter disbelief that I should be so aggravated, but here's the thing: I'm rising at 5am as I've re-started morning exercises (primarily stretching, some light weights and sit ups) and so the 4.6 was a real spanner in the works. Talk about p!553d 0££.

So, instead of being able to pick up my guitar or do something else that needs doing during my 'free time', I'm having to sit down with my pump, laptop, configuration software and make some adjustments to the night-time basal.

I know I am so lucky to be on a pump - yes, it's more work, but the opportunity for really getting control are just, well, endless; it's just, well, (I'm sure you can all relate) "Fv<k!#g A man, Fv<k!#g A."

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggh!

Rant over. I shall shut up now, make the changes and hopefully have time for the six strings. :banghead:
I hear you man!
We are fighting this freaking monster 24/7 and it never gives us a break. And often it grounds us exactly at the most critical time where we had planned to be up to something rewardingly else than just catering to this demanding disease non-stop.
With those numbers you are pretty close to perfection, so well done - and don't be too hard on yourself.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Whilst I'm not yet on a pump, surely a 4.6 with additional carbs (mix of Glucose tabs and something like a digestive) would allow you to still do the exercise (which isn't massively strenuous) would cover you on the basal concerns until breakfast and while it might be annoying, it won't take that long to adjust the pump overnight basals (e.g. knock it down an increment or two for a couple of hours). Or am I missing something?

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Reduce your basal rate from 2 am onwards should reduce the drop in bg levels, I was basal testing myself last night but for the other reason (my bg levels have been getting slightly higher increasing by 1.5 -2mmol). Hope you get things sorted.

Thanks; I'd already planned a drop of 5% for midnight to 4 am (I'm on a 24 - hourly - basal profile, based on the Roche Circadian profile). A drop from 21.5 to 21.2 units daily total.

A previous trial of 10% reduction resulted in BGs around 7, which is way above my target.

Likewise with yours.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Or am I missing something?

Sorry to say, but yes.

( @celcus got it. )

I was just venting my spleen, having one of those turns...

I can do the mechanics - better now, thanks to this forum, but it's the 2 steps forward 1 back syndrome.

I know that I'm more fortunate than billions in this world; I was just having one of those days and I thought I would offload.

As I'm sure you can relate, I would like to be able to just wake up some times, have a glass of water and do some exercise, or have a coffee and a croissant without having to run through the theory of insulin sensitivity every 'freakin' time.

It's a wistful dream, I know.