AAH I forgot!

annettekp

I forgot to give Erland his teatime injection. He gets his novorapid after he's eaten and tonight I forgot. I only realised when his blood sugar was 24.8 now at bedtime.

I feel completely stupid and guilty. No wonder he was grumpy! I have no idea how I managed to forget.

And the day had been going so well....

Annette

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Isn't it so easy to get busy of an evening. By the time I'm cooking, cleaning up, answering the phone, doing preparation for the next day and whatever else happens it is easy to forget. Just lately Khaleb has had a few little hypo's (3.8/3.7) because I have lost track of time.

Forgetting is not nearly so bad as doing the injections twice or mixing up the long and short acting doses. I have done the latter but not the former.

Did you find that he needed more insulin than normal to bring him back down or did the correct dose put him back on track?

Things always happen on a day that is going well. I'll be having a great day and then while I'm giving Khaleb his injection he'll pull away or I'll have a weird grip on the pen and I end up wondering how much insulin he got or didn't get when the needle has popped out.

Anyway, we are only human so don't feel stupid or guilty.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Annette, I'm sure we'll all have times when we forget. The good part is that you picked it up by routine testing and now you'll be able to correct it. I used to forget Jess' 8.30pm Levemir injection on occasion so now I've set the alarm on my mobile phone to remind me every evening. The worst part though is no remembering if you have or haven't actually given the meal-time injection. I've had that a couple of times, the only way to see is to wait a couple of hours and test to see what the blood sugars are at.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I fixed the problem of wondering if I had or hadn't given an injection by only keeping the needles I needed for the day in Khaleb's kit. I do keep spares in my bag in case I need to correct, replace a dropped needle or one that I have accidently pricked myself with. I've searched the bin for the little needle cover to try and work out if I had already done an injection once :lol:

leggott

Hi, I know how frustrating it is. My husband once gave my daughter her Levemir at breakfast time instead of her novorapid. Fortunately he realised straight away but it meant lots of testing throughout the night! I have also given my children the wrong doses of insulin as they are both diabetic and I gave them the other ones dose! I'm glad to say that this has only ever happened once, but like Jen says it can sometimes only take the smallest of distractions to make a mistake or forget to do something. We are after all only human. Having said that I can totally understand your frustrations over the matter especially as your day had been going so well.

Han&Yas

Dislikes
Lack of sleep, and fatigue
:lol: Hi Guys

I love you all reading that just made my evening/night ... its lovely to know we all go through similar mishaps and have similar concerns.. makes you feel abit sane sometimes to know your not the only one making such mistakes.

I also forgot to give my little boy's lantus injection @ 7.30pm this evening due to a distraction, and when I saw the time at 8pm i jumped up, and nearly tripped over myself to get his injection :?

Its been a little while, and my son had his continuous glucose sensor put in on wednesday, the nurse who deals with us is really nice but the ward was absolute mayhem when we arrived and she was really busy,we ended up being there for 4 hours waiting around, my baby ended up having a hypo, combination of playing so much in the playroom, and not having his snack (which i forgot to pack as I didnt realise we would be there so long :oops: ) the last time we was there we was in and out in 15mins, so I really thought it would be the same , and we would be back in time for his snack, and naptime.

Anywy the sensor was put in a really akward position in his bottom thigh near his knee, and hurt so much, he was in clear pain and walking/limping really odd with his leg up as he was aware of it being there. The nurse advised me to keep an eye on and was apologising for the way it was put in, I felt really really uncomfortable at seeing my son like that, but kept trying to be positive, when we got home that evening, he wouldnt stop crying, and crying .. and couldnt sit or stand, or walk.

I ended up taking him back to the ward and requested it to be taken out, he was clearly traumatised, and didnt trust me as he wouldnt let me inject his novorapid with his dinner, kept crying if i went near him as he was being held down by the nurses and me when they were putting the sensor is, he's quite strong for a 2yr old, it had a really bad effect, and they suggested to bring him back next week but ive decided that I dont want him to have it at all.

Its not helping the situation, and although he had a good experience about 6 months ago when it was put on his stomach, now he is still going on about the hurty thing on his leg as he calls it, eventhough its been out for a few days.

I just worry about what the doctors will say, his control is getting better and better with his new blood glucose testing device its a brilliant machine from Roche, its fairly new and pretty expensive, only few allocated patients able to get it for free rest will have to pay. I hope it wont be an issue, but I can say no cant I ?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Han&Yas, I'm sorry to hear about your little boy's ordeal. I had to watch Jess forceably held down to get blood for a yearly blood test after they had tried in various places without success. Eventually Jess decided enough was enough and wouldn't let them near her. That's when the nurse called in for backup and another two nurses came in to hold her down whilst they shoved a needle into her trying to get more blood. Eventually we left, both very upset by the ordeal and I vowed never to let that happen again. It is not right to do that to a child. We've never been back to the peadiatric ward for bloods (our consultant was even horrified when I told him what had happened). Now we go to the adult bloods place at our more local hospital and we've never had a problem since. The nurse there is lovely and always promises that if she can't get blood this day (Jess has difficult veins) then she'll stop and we'll try again another day, but so far we've never needed to go back again because she gets it first time every time.

Can you tell me more about this new testing device you're using, it sounds interesting?

Han&Yas

Dislikes
Lack of sleep, and fatigue
Hi Sophia

Poor thing, getting bloods taken is very difficult for someone with small veins especially a young child :? , its very good that you put your foot down and made me think to do the same when we are called back in.

The new testing device we have is from a company called Roche. It is fairly new as Ive been told by our DNS .. the name for it is Accu Chek - Aviva Expert.

The brilliant thing about this device is that firstly it comes with a very very good lanceting device called multiclix, it has the smallest needle and comes in a penform, it doesnt hurt at all when pricking, and you dont have to change the needle and risk scratching yourself as Ive done a few times, you just twist a cap off and slide in a new batch of needles which arent exposed btw, almost like changing batteries in a remote control :p

The testing device - when you apply a bloodsample it gives you the reading, it also shows you a coloured bar (blue - high, green-within range, yellow - slightly low, and red - hypo).
Then you have the option to insert how much carbs you are goin to give your child, it then works out how much bolus you will have to inject, once it has worked it out, it will give you the option to confirm this and you do and as you press ok, you will inject the child.

Now when you do your next test for your child, the machine will tell you to go through the same thing as mentioned above but when it comes to working out the bolus it will tell you how much insulin there is still left in the child's system, and it will work out how much you should give having taken that into consideration. Also it works out any correction etc everything in one go... this is all based on your child's sensitivity levels to the insulin which your DNS works out when setting up the machine on the first day of using it, she will also set Bg ranges that she wishes the child to be in throughout the day so a example being with my son ideally we want him to be between 4 - 7 in the morning,up to 8 from 12 - 7pm, and no more or less than 8 at bedtime this is however just a rough estimate as this is all worked out in detail and put into the machine by the DNS.

Also in the machine you are able to access graphs of your child's BG levels throughout the day, week, month etc.. it also shows a pie chart with the colours I mentioned above and percentages of how much child was within range so 40% green which is good, 5% hypo, 30 %high etc.. and then you meet with your DNS every so often to do a review and see where we can make changes.

In all honesty it has improved our life sooooo much, its like I know where we are going wrong, and right, and what we can do to change some high's we might get, and how much carbs to give at bedtime to boost him up slightly as the DNS was able to work out how sensitive my son is to insulin .. so 1 unit at the moment will bring him down by 7mmols, and 1 g of sugar will boost his bg by 2mmols etc..

Its a great thing which I would recommend to everyone, albeit hardwork in the beginning to work the tester out..

Sorry for the essay, but if you have any more questions feel free to ask !