Abbott To Revise Adhesive on Freestyle Libre from April 2019

K

Knikki

Good news be interesting to see how those affected get on with the new formula, thanks for posting.

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
Good news be interesting to see how those affected get on with the new formula, thanks for posting.
I'm one of those affected (badly), I just wondered if the boxes will be labelled somewhere mentioning the new adhesive.

D

Deleted member 308541

It mentions that Abbott are reformulate the adhesive on the Freestyle Libre patches, possibly due to the sheer amount of people that have a bad reaction to their current adhesive
I hope that the adhesive is truly allergy free, as some of the allergy free surgical tape and dressings have given me severe doses of dermatitis.

Edit: Typo

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Knikki

I'm one of those affected (badly), I just wondered if the boxes will be labelled somewhere mentioning the new adhesive.

Don't know but as they are launching Libre 2 in April guess it will tie in with that. Hope it resolves your skin issue with them.

Reactions: Carlton1512

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
Don't know but as they are launching Libre 2 in April guess it will tie in with that. Hope it resolves your skin issue with them.
Ah yes I remember reading somewhere about the Libre 2, so this makes sense and thanks yes hope it hope it does solve the rash issue so many of us suffer from using these (I now use a competed blister plaster as a barrier between the Libre and my skin)

Reactions: Knikki

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Drat (she says selfishly)

The current Libre adhesive is one of very few adhesives I can actually use without a reaction.
What is the betting that I will get a reaction from the reformulation? Pretty high, I expect. Haha!

Oh well, I will have to try and stockpile as many as I can of the ones with the old adhesive.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I hope that the adhesive is truly allergy free, as some of the allergy free surgical tape and dressings have given me severe doses of dermatitis.

Edit: Typo
No adhesive can ever be totally allergy free unfortunately. The best they'll get is a reformulation that is better for a larger percentage of the population.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
So long as it still sticks as well as the present adhesive and I don't start getting a reaction I'll be happy. I do feel sorry for people who have a reaction, it just go to show what a weird bunch of human beings we are, by that I mean all different.

dankelly84

I've had some bad reactions to the sensor adhesive since around October, to the point that i've had to stop using them as the last time i did it scarred my arm.

Some good news, i'll give em another go

Reactions: kitedoc