About Coffee

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Found this today , thought it may be of interest

Does Caffeine Raise Your Blood Glucose Levels?
Does caffeine raise your blood glucose levels? If you do not know the answer to this question, you may want to find out. As you probably know, your blood glucose level is very important to your overall level of health. To go along with this, if you are a diabetic, knowing the answer to this question is even more important. After all, you need to make sure that you never do anything that will negatively affect your blood glucose level.
Numerous studies have shown that MODERATE amounts of caffeine will not have any effect on blood sugar levels. But if you read that sentence carefully, you will find the word “MODERATE.” You need to take this word to heart because some people never know when to stop when it comes to the consumption of caffeine. ( I,M ONE )and with loads of double cream, huh!!!
Consuming large amounts of caffeine in short periods of time can definitely have an effect on your blood glucose level. So if you are one of those people who drink several cups of coffee in the morning, you need to think twice about what you are doing. Additionally, other beverages, such as energy drinks, can also quickly raise your blood sugar level if you are not careful.
How does the consumption of caffeine raise blood glucose levels? Generally speaking, this is done by the effect that it has on two hormones, glucagon and adrenaline. When consuming an excess amount of caffeine, these hormones begin to release sugar that is stored in the liver. The result is a higher blood glucose level.
As you can see, caffeine can raise your blood glucose level if you drink too much. The best way to ensure that this does not happen is to keep your consumption to a minimum.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Sacrilege! I read this elsewhere too. Are there any vices left? :cry:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's all down to quantity. How much is too much?

Trinkwasser

IME over the years the number of papers I've seen are roughly balanced between those demonstrating benefits and disbenefits

<he said, just draining another cup of Java>

LizzieP

Very topical for me, this thread. I decided today to give up caffeine (except with my breakfast bolus followd by a brisk walk) as a cup of tea or coffee (with only a dash of milk) raises my blood sugar by about 2mml which can be very annoying. :roll:

lilibet

I've given up too much already
Id rather give up my breakfast than coffee.

I will however try not to drink the whole cafetiere in an hour, as per the usual start to the day. Havent tested for spikes so dont know what it does, but doesnt keep it any higher than on days when i dont have it

I personally WILL NOT be giving it up :D

Trinkwasser

zen said:
Would it be the same with De-Caff???

Just a thought.

IMO that's probably a reason for some of the disparities, coffee doesn't only contain caffeine but a whole bunch of active chemicals. most of the others would still be in the decaf version but the quantities would vary significantly between types and brands

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i was interested in this coffee subject, because i am experiencing a lot of sweating, which as been bothering me for about 8yrs
i had an app at the demertoligy clinic last fri, and was prescribed Vensir XL, for the Sweating, i did take one capsule on the day , then i found out it is, mainly for Major Depression , and as loads of side effects, inc if you have eye probs, which i have, and we also, have glaucoma in the family, anyway ,needless to say i wont be taking it, re-coffee, been reading that coffee can cause excessive sweating , so reluctantly going to try and cut down, and possible change to de-caff , i cant,dont want to give up my morning cuppa :roll:

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
proberly about 6, Sue, maybe more, sometimes i dont drink anything else in a day