"About Me"

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I've got to do an "about me" presentation at work and wondering whether to mention diabetes. I've worked there 7 months and been diagnosed 6 months so they've been on the journey with me.

Would u mention it? If so what type of thing would you say?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Why not, if you feel comfortable doing so. Just explain how diabetes has changed your life in the last 6 months.

Reactions: 3 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Sometimes it is hard to disclose your diabetes to anyone but I have not felt embarrassed about mines. All close family have medic-alert cards and I have educated them in the basics. I've also told friends and colleagues too just to get it off my chest and think your work colleagues will be glad you mention it if you want. Don't feel pressured if you are uncomfortable though.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would include it and say something very direct about it. How you carry on real-lifing, eg ( rather than disappearing up your own ****). I bet they'd be interested. It'll impress them with what a together person you are.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all,

I've got to do an "about me" presentation at work and wondering whether to mention diabetes. I've worked there 7 months and been diagnosed 6 months so they've been on the journey with me.

Would u mention it? If so what type of thing would you say?

It can be difficult 'to show and tell medical problems' but as it is a big part of you, I would mention it, the main points and keep it positive. I'm sure it will go very well.

Good luck RRB :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I recall giving a presentation about "something important to you" as a graduate when on a training course and I opted to talk about my diabetes.

It's great to use as a topic. You are the expert on your diabetes. No one else can come close.

Take props (pen and bg test kit), try to get a volunteer to have a bg test done during the presentation when talking about the differences to non-diabetics and most importantly, remember to talk about it with a bit of humour, such as, I hope we don't have any needle phobics in the room, before whipping out your pen needle, and taking about you having a grump when you get low (if you do get grumpy). As long as you keep the tone light but informative, it should go down well.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I said to an aquaintance of friends of mine on Saturday when visiting for his birthday, that my diabetes ( the pancreas and Insulin) is like a car, non diabetics run an automatic and I'm a manual 'driver'. So not too heavy, but gave them a little laugh :-D

All the best RRB

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd definitely include it, Tell them that you have in fact got 2 full time jobs, work and diabetes.

I hope it goes well for you :)

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People are interested in diabetes, trust me. I just got back from a party. I make an effort not to force my diabetes journey on people just looking to have a good night. I still find myself talking about it at length on a lot of occasions, including tonight. And I find that people ask loads of questions, rather than trying to change the subject. If you can share that part of yourself, you can find an audience in my experience.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Thanks for ur advice. Presentation went well and a couple of ppl said to me after they were pleased I mentioned it and that they understand a bit better now :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
dammmm, no more sugar buns and chocolates being offered to you...what happened with the 'buy a cake to share' at meetings?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a different team today. We all brought in bits of savoury food so I took in low carb quiche and chicken :)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
dammmm, no more sugar buns and chocolates being offered to you...what happened with the 'buy a cake to share' at meetings?
There seems to be an unlimited supply of Maltesers ;)

Unknown-5.jpeg

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally i wouldn't mention it in my presentation, not because i want to hide it but because sometimes it can be a bit of a buzz kill because it is something fairly serious... People just want to hear light happy things during work presentations. I wouldn't hide it from work friends or co workers who are curious, but i wouldn't put it in a presentation :/

Thats just me, i like to keep a little mystery haha

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi all. Thanks for ur advice. Presentation went well and a couple of ppl said to me after they were pleased I mentioned it and that they understand a bit better now :)

Good :) Not sure I would have (though could have) done it but all power to you for it.