Absorb this one!

jimmyt1988

Hi all,

Went to the doctor for yearly check up few weeks ago...
My routine was:

no breakfast -
no injection

lunchtime -
novorapid: 12-14 units @ 12:30(ish)
levemir: 35 units @ 15:00(ish)

evening -
novorapid: 12-14 units @ 18:00 - 22:00(ish)

bedtime -
levemir: 26 units @ 00:00 - 03:00(ish)

The doctor said to lower the amount of levemir because I was taking a high percentage of levemir at the time.

So I did within the next day I had dropped both doses to 24... Interesting part coming up:

She said I would need to raise my short term... So I did... And had many hypos.. with 2 days I had sussed this:

no breakfast -
no injection

lunchtime -
novorapid: 7-9 units @ 12:30
levemir: 24 units @ 12:00(ish)

evening -
novorapid: 10-13 units @ 18:00 - 22:00(ish)

bedtime -
levemir: 24 units @ 00:00 - 03:00(ish)

My blood sugars are flipping excellent and yet I've dropped not only the long term, but the short term...

The only change was moving my longterm back 2 hours... Absolutely CRAZY!

I'll tell you what my blood test comes out as in 6 months time.. But my blood test for my previous regime was 7.2

hahahaha crazy stuff.

Lesson learnt: the timing of an injection can alter your whole pattern even by just shifting it by 2 hours.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jimmyt1988 said:
Lesson learnt: the timing of an injection can alter your whole pattern even by just shifting it by 2 hours.

It certainly can Jimmy and I notice your levemir dose is now split evenly. Insulin ratios can change from week to week and its important to keep an eye on the basal insulin when encountering unexpected highs between meals. Pleased you resolved your problem! :)

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ewan said:
is basal the long acting one ?

Yes it is.

Bolus is the quick acting Insulin.