Acarbose

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey! Has anyone experience with acarbose? It seems ideal medicine and I would like to know more! What percentage of carbs does it block in a meal?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm not sure it actually blocks the absorption of carbohydrates, it slows down the digestive processes though. Some of the side effects sound a little like those suffered by some members on Metformin.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Acarbose inhibits enzymes (glycoside hydrolases) needed to digest carbohydrates."
So I suppose they are not absorbed then? Since carbs are absorbed as monosaccharides?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The operative word there is "inhibits".

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at a Patient Information leaflet on Acarbose (there are some listed online, because I had a look at one a few weeks ago).

It appears that many people experience digestive upset while taking Acarbose, due to the undigested carbs working their way through. Gas. Bloating. Discomfort.

The obvious way to reduce those unpleasant effects is to reduce the amount of carbs eaten with the Acarbose. And if carbs are being reduced to avoid unpleasantness, then you might as well reduce them anyway and skip the need for Acarbose in the first place...

Last edited:

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Digestive side effects seem to fade out after some time of acarbose use.