Accepted for a pump

emmarochester

I made a post several months ago when I was first considering pumps and what they entailed. I am pleased, no thrilled to say that I was accepted for having a pump by my consultant on Christmas Eve at midday! I was so relieved and happy that I cried like a baby - what a christmas present. I am now waiting for my appt with the DSN so that she can show me the pumps available through my PCT and then it is onwards and upwards. I just want to say a big thank you to everyone that replied to my first ever post and if anyone has any helpful tips in choosing a pump then i would greatly appreciate them. Thanks once again and Merry Christmas.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done, what a Christmas present!!

As well as looking at different pumps, look at the type of sets and tubing that will fit around your lifestyle.

My hospital last august was putting everybody on combo pumps, supposedly because they thought they were best and had a good back up service.

Now they are getting animas pumps.......don't know their reasons behind the change though!!!

I personally don't think the 'back up' service should impact on which pump should be offered, as honestly when you have been pumping for a few weeks you can figure out yourself what to do...I do still however phone accuchek and report my irregularities with the pump, otherwise they will be thinking everything is perfect, when they are not!!

I wish I had been able to have a choice of sets and tubing etc to try first. I have now settled with a 6mm steel cannula and 100cm tubing, this works brilliantly for me, however it would be a nightmare for others!!!

I love the remote (which is NOT the size of a brick!!!), as it fits so well in to my bumbag and is always with me, and is very discreet if I wish to have a bolus etc whilst I am out. I wear my pump on my arm, which if I needed to access it would make it a pain in the b*m. I keep it there from the day I put my cartridge in, to the day I replace the cartridge. I never have to worry about it.

I wish I didn't have to time my baths around my set changes though. I do this, so I can be totally free from the pump for an hour, and can really languish in the bath (with a glass of wine)-not good if it is 10am in the morning!!! -(Kidding).

I wish I had chance to try out different sets and tubing first, as I have had 4 months of hospitals ordeing stuff, having to take stuff back to the hospital, then having to go again twice to pick up other stuff. When it is a 25 mile journey, it is really not good. (My PCT different to to others!!).

I am sure others will come and answer your posting too.....good luck,......

I have never been shown other pumps, as at the time I was only offered the combo. I love the combo when it works perfectly.

spideog

I just got approved for a pump before Christmas as well. I've to go in next week and choose between an Animas or the AccuCheck Combo pumps I think it is.

Then have to learn how to live with this diabetes thing all over again.

jopar

Well done you two..

If you go to the manufactures sites, they will give you more information about the pumps, Accu-check have a demon of some of the features, most of the manufacturers also have similar so you can get a gest of the pumps...

The Spirit Combo, has all the wizards on the handset which is also a blood glucose meter, it also acts as a remote control for the pump it's an advantage in one way bit a disadvantage in another, as none of the wizards are on the acutal pump, so no handset no wizards available...

All the other pumps Animas, Veo ect all have the wizards on the actual pump it's self so you can use the BG meter of your choice with the only set back that if BG meter isn't compatiable with your pump it won't communicate with the pump so that you will have to manually enter BG reading when using the wizards, and data from the BG meter won't download automatically to pumps computer software..

As what to look for in a pump,

Well screen size, clearity of the menu both visually and how its navigated around..

Other aspects to look at is basal rate adjustment,

Veo, Combo have 24 programble basal segements in 24 hours (I think there is one or two pumps that there may be 48 segments (every 1/2 hour)) The Animas 2020 only has 12 segments! which in my eyes lets it down big time..

The amount of Profiles is also another factor to look at, as these can make life a lot easier, the Combo has 5, DanaR has only 3 if I remember rightly..

Consider how many profiles might be usefull, basic need is 2 profiles, one for work and one for non-working days, handy to have a 3 rd profile that can be set up for sickdays (so you increase the temp basal rate beyond the 200% max on a normal profile) then if you are doing a regular activity such as hiking, gym etc another profile for this one..

When I started pumping dose delivery was an important spec to look at, but all pumps roughly have the same delivery dose available (when I started, Animals etc could deliver a 0.01u, where as the spirit was limited to 0.1u)

Believe me back up support and after care service is a very important aspect of pumps, any problems you do need resolved quickly...

I've lost faith with Accu-Chek, support and customer service a very top class indeed and a credit to the company but my 3rd pump in 3 years was delivered on Christmas Eve, my first pump failed just after a year (one of the dodgy button batch) the pump I am just sending back the rubber protection on the button end has disintigrated leaving the pump vernable to water getting into the pump casing itself, and at the other end it has started to wear away :shock: The pump is mechanically sound itself...

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hiya and congrats we too had a phone call between christmas and new year to say the pct had agreed on funding for my sons pump we were absolutley delighted and cant wait for whats next we are having the minimed paradigm as it has the continuous blood glucose monitor on it and our DSN would like dylan to have the option to use it particularly at the begining. i think its fantastic that more people seem to be given the option of an insulin pump long may it continue. good luck with the next steps
anna marie :D