Access to medical records 2016

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
To all persons in England... Please consider signing up as online patients.

As of April 2016 Patients have to be able to view blood test results and documents and consultations.

Some GPs are already giving access.

You will be able to view all your results without bothering GP.

Some GPs are giving full access to all Patients. Our GP only gives to patients that ask for full access.

GPs that run on the EMIS system with Patient Access online already have this capability. Some Practices use other systems.

Your records will give you all the data for blood tests etc going back years. Also you will be able to view all diagnosis etc given. Mine goes back to when I was a kid (50 years ago) and I can view problems that I was unaware that I even had then!

It is well worth asking for full access as an online patient. Then you will not be fobbed off that they haven't got breakdowns of levels etc...

The GP can refuse full access to Patients if they think its going to be detrimental to the Patients health and wellbeing to have full access.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
DD, if you alread on-line with your gp practice is there nothing more to do, will you automatically be able to view your records from April onwards?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You will not necessarily get automatic access. It depends upon the views of the GPs in each Practice. Ours are only giving if a patient asks the GP and the GP says yes, this can be requested at the end of an appointment or in writing. Other Practices are flicking the switch "carte blanche" to all Patients.

I was / am the trial patient at my Practice and unfortunately with my cancer diagnosis and discussions with my consultant he did not tell me my life expectancy. I viewed his letter to my GP online..... If this happened to persons with lesser life expectancy than me this could have been a horrible incident for these people.

Consultants must get realisation that they must tell all the facts to patients. Yes, it is important that patients ask the correct questions too but when you are in shock and taking in details of radiotherapy etc then the patient obviously cannot be expected to ask all relevant questions. The consultants and GPs must be aware to make full discussions with their patients.

Decisions are down to individual Practices to make. Some GPS have released data already to all their patients. Some 'one man' Practices are behind the times and only just getting a website that they should have had 3 years ago!!

Free text written by GPs cannot be seen. Only coded text I.e. 120 for example for sick note or 150 (made up numbers) for telephone call. If they write "weirdo" as my GP calls me then that would not be visible.....

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My EMIS doesn't have any details of tests or anything useful. Will have to give the practice a call.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My EMIS doesn't have any details of tests or anything useful. Will have to give the practice a call.

I would, just ask when and how your Practice are allowing full access. If the receptionists can't answer the query then ask to speak to someone who can.

Probably Practice Managers and GPs are the only ones in the know to be honest...

Good luck!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Practice already has it on Patient Access. We have to ask the receptionist who gives us a form to complete and in return we get a code to enter on Patient Access, and our own password. So far we can only see medications, allergies, and immunisations. My immunisations go back to 1948 when I was a baby! I have asked when all the other stuff will be on. The answer was as soon as they can upload it all.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just spoken to mine and they've said that they're still tweaking a few things and can't give me a date. They hope it will be before Christmas! That will be fascinating!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are actually starting to do this in NZ as well but only in selected practices.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just spoken to mine and they've said that they're still tweaking a few things and can't give me a date. They hope it will be before Christmas! That will be fascinating!

Tweaking probably means deciding which stance they are going to take... Request or carte blanche...it is literally a keyboard button to press! I've seen it done when they did it in my GP. Took my PM less than 30 seconds and my full access was granted.......

GPs are still taking advice on which stance to take. My GP has been writing reports and papers on it to advise GPs. He only had a test screen to look at, so now I've given him my ID and password so he could view exactly what I see for writing up details for medical journal advice to GPs. He can afterall view all my records anyway. He just needed to see what a patient can view.

After the consultant not telling me full details I have also asked the CEO at my hospital to ensure that all consultants discuss everything that they are writing to GPs as Consultants must also be aware.

Hope you get full access soon - another Christmas present to have!! :) :)

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My GP practice has online repeat prescriptions and appointment requests, but is still not showing medical records.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Nor mine,time rattle the cage door,I think

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi dd, I just googled my GP surgery and found this, looks promising :)

Statement of Intent
NHS England require GP practices to work towards patients having the following online access in place by 31st March 2016

Patient online access to their detailed coded medical records by request.
Patient online access to view their test results

We are working closely with our clinical software providers to develop appropriate systems for patients to request online access to their detailed coded records using a method that is secure and safeguards the best interests of the patient. We aim for this to be completed by 31st March 2016.We will keep you up dated via this news page and newsletter in due course.

Reactions: 2 people