access to medical records (employer) Help

minniefaye1

Hi

My employer wants me to complete a form to give access to my medical records, As I mentioned to someone that I had a hypo , but at home , They went running to the boss and now I been asjed to complete.

I have already had a occy health report done when I started with the company, I don't think that my home life affects my job as when i had hypo i had 3 days off that week so it happend during that time, I know why i had hypo just been told my wife mother had cancer and nothing they can do and i could'nt support my wife as they were 400 miles away.

My wife is going mental as now trying to not get me to sign the form as its none off their business , but i just want a easy life .

what shall i do?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As an employer you must notify the employee or prospective employee concerned that you intent to apply to their doctor or medical practitioner to see their medical records.

Contained within the notification must be full details of the employee’s rights under the Access to Medical Reports Act.

An employer must obtain the employees written consent which must then be provided to the doctor in order to be provided with access to the requisite report.

Hi Minniefaye1, :)

Sometimes procedures cause a lot of stress and worry.

When it is done properly I would give permission in the best interest of both parties.

Your wife has good reason to be angry, nevertheless what is done is done.

Sorry about the news regarding your wife's mother, they both need you more than ever right now, so carry on giving as much energy and support to them.

Roy. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As far as I'm aware they can only request medical records with your written consent, if you don't feel it necesary then don't sign the form as I fail to see how a hypo at home has any bearing to your work (unless of course there has been episodes at work which they are concerned about).

This is from Diabetes UK which says much the same, any hassle then your better contacting your trade union representative or the CAB for guidance:

Can a current or prospective employer approach my GP for information?

''An employer must get your written consent before they can approach your GP. Your GP should
never release information about you to anyone without your written consent. If you agree to
this then you will need to sign a consent form. The original copy of your consent form is then
sent to the GP with a letter from your employer asking about your condition. You have the right
to see what is in the report. Generally, if there is a fee involved, your employer would pay it.''

Good luck and sorry to hear about your mother-in-law.

mbudzi

Hi

Lost my post so not sure if this will appear twice.

I work in Occy Health. I'm inclined to agree that the circumstances are not appropriate for the company to be asking, but assuming they do have some rationale for their concern, they need to tell you what that is about and why GP records will assist.

It may be in your favour to have a GP report saying your control is good although I've yet to meet a GP who could make that statement/assessment (bah humbug experience about GPs understanding diabetes).

If you do give consent, ensure that the consent you give also includes clear approval/process for you seeing the report before it goes to your employer. This is so you can check it is factually correct. You can't amend it cos you don't like what it says but you can ensure it is fact based and the conclusions draw on the facts.

Hope this helps you in your troubled times. Best of luck with it all.

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fairly sure they can't request them just because they feel like it or because of heresay. Just say the other person was lying.

Check with EASS about what your employer is eentitled to and when. This sounds like borderline discrimination. Are they requesting everyone's medical history?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App