Accessories for accucheck pump

seemavithlani

Hi all,

New to forum and new to a pump. Had the accucheck Combo for 6 weeks now and it's having great effects on my blood sugars. Main problem - where to wear it? Please let me know your tips and best accessories. So far I've tried putting in my bra - but it's not very comfortable. I've looked at some of the belts available but they're quite ungainly. It's bad enough having to wear a pump and infusion belt - not sure about a neoprene sports belt?!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
On my arm trapped between 2 layers of tubigrip that are on prescription each month.
As you have a remote control it just goes under your clithes and only as normal has to detach when showering or bath. Dont have to worry sbout it at night, literally take clothes off and stays on arm all night..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

I keep the Combo on a diagonal slant in my bra cup (slightly padded) and it doesn't bother me that much. Have you tried putting it in a thin babysock b4 putting it in yr bra as that will make things more comfortable?

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had this same problem the first few weeks I had mine I just couldn't be comfy with it in my bra lodged in there or couldn't stand it being in my pocket or where anyone could see it all the time. Firstly I bought a waistband off eBay it was £14.99 and it's a black lace effect and a few of my friends actually mistook it for being a special bra id bought that had a little compartment with a popper fastening to put the pump in, this was really comfy and I thought it was amazing at first but then I purchased the insulin pump pouch off the same seller on eBay for £7.99 and this is definitely my favourite. It's a little pouch the same size as your pump and has 3 popper fastenings on it so you can wear it tighter or looser. During the day I tend to wear it on the tightest popper on my bra strap underneath my arm, I don't even know it's there and so far no ones even mentioned it or asked what it is, if I'm wearing something tighter and more figure hugging I tend to put it right round the back if my bra and my long hair covers it so its not noticeable at all just abit uncomfy if you sit back onto it. During the night I either leave it in the same place it move it to the front centre part if my bra and put it in the loosest setting, that way I can just budge it round during the night if I'm laid on it and I can always make sure it's facing down to prevent air bubbles coming through. I've also started wearing it clipped onto my underwear if I'm wearing a buggier top that you can't see it and let it gang on the outside of my trousers it leggings this is really comfy too. Hope you get there with finding somewhere comfy for you to wear it I was pleasantly surprised what a difference the pouch made to my happiness in acquiring a pump. I think the username is pouch4all or something like that but if you put in insulin pump pouch they come up and you can get them in different colours, good luck!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1396600436.978248.jpg

iHs

Takes all sorts of course but the tubigrip on arm is not for me. Much rather use bra or waistband clip. The new pump skin clip is fairly good

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i got my pump yesterday and have been googling it this morning to find the best way to wear it so i will flow this thread too x

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm also struggling with the "where to wear it" question. Envious of you ladies with your bras! ;-)

The tubigrip on the arm (or leg?) sounds good. I notice my manual says to keep the site no lower than the pump, so does that mean the infusion site goes on your arm?

I do wish I had a Combo or other remote-operated pump, as that gives you many more options for where to wear it, and to wear it discreetly.

For now it just goes in my trouser pocket, canula in my waist or upper thigh, I keep that pocket clear of anything else, but I have varying amounts of visible tubing and a fairly comical experience every time I go to the toilet.

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never been told about having the site no lower than the pump. Spiker what about using a waistband which has a little compartment for the pump? I got one of those off eBay too and it's good, I tend to wrap the tubing round the pump before putting it in the pouch so I haven't got loads of loose tubing hanging around. I typed insulin pump into eBay and lots of things came up originally might be worth you having a look for some inspiration lol

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the tip about winding the tubing round, I will try that. I did look online but I was slightly overwhelmed by the range of options for pouches, bands, etc.
I worry that a waistband pouch will make me look like an American tourist. ;-)

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Couldn't you slip it abit higher so it's under your t shirt so can't be seen to avoid the tourist look lol I used to literally have mine round my waist with the cannula in my side and even with slinky clothes on its so discreet and well hid. I've used the seller: pouch4all on eBay for the waistband and pouch and will be purchasing more pouches in different colours in the future if you put seller:pouch4all in the searchbar they *should* come up all what she sells

Reactions: 2 people

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Going to have to write it differently as it keeps putting a smiley, if you search seller: Pouch4all without the big space

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My consultants have seen my pump on my arm for amost 4 years now and never mentioned having pump beliw set. Accuchek actually sell arm pump holders.
I wear my sets in my bum. I have rapid d's with 80cm tubes that allows them to be nice and loose under my clothes whilst gardening.
You do need accuchek pump as when the pump is on my arm it stays there. I dont take it off unless I'm changing set or cartridge or having a bath. When I undress at night I do not detach it at all. I literally take clothes on and off without worry. It stays on my arm at night.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's in my manual (Animas Vibe) that it says don't wear the pump higher that the site otherwise you can get extra insulin dripping in, causing higher than expected dosage. I have no idea if this is a serious problem or if at affects other types of pump.