According to my consultant.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have beaten T2 diabetes! He wants more tests including glucose testing in about three weeks. He is happy with my progress.
However, I now know for certain that I should have never been diagnosed as T2, but prediabetic in 2010!
I have been diagnosed as reactive hypoglycaemic, which is still carb intolerant, but my pancreas flushes Insulin instead of depriving my body of it. I still have to have a restrictive diabetic like diet, even though I am on meds. Carbohydrates are poison to me!

Because I am no longer diabetic, there is still a 55% chance of me getting it in the future! he wouldn't predict anything, because he wants more tests!
Everything I eat, I have to test every time before and two hours after! (Shouldn't we all?) and I need to find out how susceptible I am to sugar and carbs!

Test! Test! Test! Test! Test! Test! Oh! Well, just have to get my head around this. He says I have a very rare condition, I am going to get educated about this condition.
Since going on meds, I have never felt better, fitter and healthier since I was in my forties.

I wish that all you diabetics could get the care and interest that my consultant has given me. I also thank everyone on this site who taken time and interest in my postings ( wether right or wrong!) who has helped me understand my dietary and health needs. Thank you!

Does this mean I no longer have to log in and offer my advice on various things?

Thank you all again, especially Brunneria, who understands my condition, cos she's been there, Ta very much!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations!:happy:
You seem to have a rare consultant that thinks outside the box :)

Please keep logging in - at the very least we want to know how you are getting on !

Signy

Reactions: gemma_T1

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, you sweet man, :oops:

So glad you have such a happy sort of ending. :happy:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Congratulations!:happy:
You seem to have a rare consultant that thinks outside the box :)

Please keep logging in - at the very least we want to know how you are getting on !

Signy
Many thanks, it going to take me time to get used to the idea that I'm not diabetic but annoyed about the misdiagnosis!
Thanks again!

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh, you sweet man, :oops:

So glad you have such a happy sort of ending. :happy:
I have to say, that this is only the beginning of my trials and tribulations, there are many rivers to cross and I know that this condition will be tamed even if I end up eating ham salad for life. I am not going back to the bad hypos because of what I eat!
I have tests coming out of my ears at the moment. And my fingers don't realise how much they are going to be mistreated.
You never know, I could be logging in and say that like you, I am T2 in the future.
Keep up the fight against carbs, and thanks again for seeing me through to this stage of my condition.

You know, you won't get rid of me, that easily!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I certainly hope you don't disappear! You may not have diabetes but you still have to follow the food rules to keep well, so keep posting and tell us how you get on.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I certainly hope you don't disappear! You may not have diabetes but you still have to follow the food rules to keep well, so keep posting and tell us how you get on.
I will! But if there is a forum like this for my condition, I'll have to give them my wisdom!!!!! Lol!

Reactions: 5 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will! But if there is a forum like this for my condition, I'll have to give them my wisdom!!!!! Lol!

A whole new forum for the misdiagnosed entitled " Type Thingy...Or Maybe Not ?";):D

Seriously, the amount of misdiagnosis is truly shocking :( And don't get me started on the bad advice even when they DO get the diagnosis correct!

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

There are certainly forums for hypoglycaemics out there. I tried one a few years ago. Very frustrating. All they wanted to do was stuff sugar to stop their levels going too low - since I had been low carbing for years by then I found it VERY frustrating and gave up in the end.

Maybe there has been a change in perspective by now - Atkins did a lot of people a great deal of good by publicising low carb.

One thing that they/I had in common was the almost universal denial by NHS staff that hypoglycaemia even existed in non-diabetics. No doctor ever believed me, or tested me. I had to muddle through independently. Likewise everyone else there.

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Before the footie starts! I am so glad that I have been lucky in my consultant, he has been so up to date with diagnosis and prognosis. If I need to speak with him I can phone his secretary. How good is that!
I have only researched a little but the Mayo Clinic website disputes the theory on RH!
Footie on!

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
You seem to be in a similar situation to me, but if you are not diabetic, why do you have to follow a diabetic diet?
And why are you still on medication?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Stick around Nosher, we would miss your football insight ;)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You seem to be in a similar situation to me, but if you are not diabetic, why do you have to follow a diabetic diet?
And why are you still on medication?
I have to follow a T2 diabetic diet because I am carb and sugar intolerant. My condition, known as Reactive Hypoglycemia, means that when I eat a carb rich food, I spike up to an hour later, my pancreas flushes insulin and because of that and more science, my blood sugar drop rapidly, which produces a hypo. Then I have to have something to offset the hypo and if I don't do it gradual then I will yo-yo between hyper and hypo.
I am on meds that inhibit the flushing of insulin into my bloods. So far they have worked, though I still have to keep testing and trying low carb foods, soon I hope, I can try medium carbs if all goes well or I may have to increase my meds and I don' want to do that!

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I have to follow a T2 diabetic diet because I am carb and sugar intolerant. My condition, known as Reactive Hypoglycemia, means that when I eat a carb rich food, I spike up to an hour later, my pancreas flushes insulin and because of that and more science, my blood sugar drop rapidly, which produces a hypo. Then I have to have something to offset the hypo and if I don't do it gradual then I will yo-yo between hyper and hypo.
I am on meds that inhibit the flushing of insulin into my bloods. So far they have worked, though I still have to keep testing and trying low carb foods, soon I hope, I can try medium carbs if all goes well or I may have to increase my meds and I don' want to do that!
??? That sounds exactly like diabetes.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know!
The science part that when I spike and flush insulin, too much, which leads to a hypo and so on.

Diabetics only have a hypo when either their meds are too much and when they fast for too long.
T2 and per diabetics blood sugar levels stay high and only through diet and meds get back to normal.

My bloods remain normal until I eat and not through fasting.

God! My brain hurts!

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I would kick that consultant into touch#