Accu Check Combo VS Dana Diabecare R

nicolnee

Hi All,

I've been researching a lot and have narrowed down my selection to 2 pumps, the Accu Check Combo and Dana Diabecare R.

Both seem to fit what I'm looking for which in the main is a remote control that also checks blood sugar levels and communicates this to the pump.

I'm not sure how many people have experience of using these pumps but I would really appreciate any positive or negative feedback for both.

Many Thanks

Nicol :)

jopar

Hi Nicol

It might be difficult to get feed back, as the Dana has only just been released, so not many people will be using it..

The Combo has only be available for 16 month's (May 2009)... The numbers for this pump is increasing slowly but not still not really same as similar pumps...

I have the original spirit pump..

As for customer service I found rouche to be fair and reasonable, if you order supplies in the morining they will be deliverd the next day (cut of point is either 12 or 1pm I think) I've had any querries that I've made dealt dealt with quickly, and when I did have a pump mulfunction (I had one of the dodgy botton batch) it was the weekend which did cause a problem in the a new pump couldn't be sent out until Monday so didn't get it until Tuesday but you will find this with any of the manufacturers.. But I did have a phone call from the rep after I phoned on the sunday (they day it when down) Who went through the problem, and new how what I need to do to limp the pump along until Tuesday when my replacement arrived...

Rouche are also happy to post to an alternitive address if this is more convienant for you such as your place of work as long as your or sombody is there to sign for the delivery.. I also now have my supplies sent automatically every 3 months, only need to phone them if I need anything or need to make any chances to my order..

Hope this helps..

sugar2

I have a combo and absolutely love it...although I can't compare it to anything else as it is the only one I have ever used.

I has enopugh functions to do everthing I want it to...and I love the remote control. Currently wearing a dress, and have teh pump on a clip hanging down from my bra...and actually puching buttons on the pump would be err, difficult, but I can just grab the remote, and bobs your uncle.

The training and cupport offred by Roche I have found to be absolutely excellent too...no complaints really, except that the bluetooth is not 100% reliable, but you always know where you are with it. No problem with the infusion sets etc.

As I say, I have no experience of other pumps...as I was so relived to be offered a pump, it didn't bother me that I had a choice of 1! the clinic I am at only offer the Combo, as this is teh one that teh staff are trainined in and know how to use. To be honest..i don't think this should limithe the choice, but it mans that tehy organise teh training, and have regular sessions...so I knwo other users in my area.

My insulin requiremnts are quite low relatively, and it allows to me to tweak my doses...and I appear to get what I ask it to deliver. Obviously, not sure how all thsi compares, but absolutely no problems.

Only thing I can't work out is why they do not have teh preloaded cartridges for it...you have to fill them from a bottle...which seemed a little old fashioened to me...but agian, I don't know if it is typical.

Best of luck.

jopar

Sugar2

The reason that pre-filled cartridges aren't available for pumps is sheer money, The cost involved to get it sorted is mind blowing... Around 20 million pounds :shock: :shock:

There was talk about several manufacturers getting together to get pre-filled cartridges sorted back in 2008 but I've heard no more... Whether it was feesable as it could mean that pumps would have to slightly modified so cartridges fitted all pumps!

There is only one pump that I know of that uses the standard pre-filled pen cartridges and that Rouche's Accu-Check Dtron plus pump

nicolnee

Great, thanks all. The combo seems to be the better choice as the support from Roche sounds good and it's been on the market a little longer. The Dana looks great and is apparently the smallest and lightest pump on the market. I like this as it would be easier to hide.

They have a virtual glucose monitor and pump for the Dana;
http://www.sooil.com/NEW/eng/m3_r_03.html

Sugar2 - if you get chance I'd really appreciate it if you had a look at the Dana virtual pump to see how it compares to your Combo.

Thank you! :)

iHs

Hello Nicolnee

Like Sugar2 I too have got the Combo.

When compairing the Dana with the Combo, the Combo wins as it is very easy to use regardless of whether you read the instruction manual or not. For one, there are no symbols that need to be pressed; everything comes up in plain English although of course you get used to associating a symbol with the function you want to perform after a while.

If you look on YouTube - google Flexlink Plus Accu chek and you will see a young woman using the Combo remote to do a bg test and bring up the bolus wizard to calculate the carbs. It's really easy to do. Since I got mine, a few others at my hospital have also chosen the Combo system.

The customer service at Accu Chek is really good, the Flexlink sets are very good and now there is also a 6mm set - Flexlink Plus. A problem with the Dana pump is the customer support is most likely going to be through mobile phone calls and that might be costly. Also although the Dana pump has a luer connection on its reservoir; the luer is Korean and not European. Unfortunately, the two are different so if you cant get on with the infusion sets for the Dana you are going to be somewhat stuck. Also the Dana teststrips have to come directly from AT. You cant go down to your pharmacy if you run out and ask for a tub.

By all means look at the Dana but also look at the Combo as well.

sugar2

Thank you Jopar....20million sounds a lot for something so simple, which the insulin companies do already...maybe when demand goes up??

Sorry, haven't had chance to look at the DANA site, but will do. As IHs says though, it would really be the support I would check into. You are never going to get an invisiable pump (well, not before they start transplanting them) so whether it is 6mm or 8 mm doesn't make that much difference to me.

I travel iwth work, and also do presentations etc. the only time I am conscience of it is when I am wearing tighter fitting clothes...smart trousers, I just wear it on my belt, otherwise...up my top somewhere. Sometines I get a slight bulge on my lower rib cage, butit is worth it to have a pump!

You may be surprised about how easy it is to hide in your bra....Dressage would be no problem, as I believe you wear a jacket for that...so plenty of material to hide it in a not low cut sports bra. The only time I have an issue with mine is when doing "burpees in eth gym (and I have an issue with burpees in teh gym anyway...hard work!!), and it sometimes falls out teh top of my bra, whn I have my head pointing down and my bum pointing up...but again, not the end of the world.

Apologies for the mental images there...but you really do get used to wearing it after a few days.

nicolnee

Thanks Sugar2 & iHs, this has been really helpful. I've made up my mind and will call my nurse now to hopefully order the Combo! I'm really excited now! :D

Your feedback has been really useful, especially to understand wearing the pump to work and with sports. I really thought it woudl be awkward but you've explained how easy it is to use the machine and conceal it.

I'll hopefully come back to the forum soon to let you know how I'm getting on. Thanks again, I would have been lost without the advice from my last 2 posts! :D