Accu check insight pump

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
Hi all I had to go and pick something up from my local hospital yesterday and I saw my diabetes team and they said at next clinic we all have a look at the insight pump by accu check was just wondering if anyone would be kind to take a few minutes to tell me about this pump would be a good help and if there are any better pumps out there thanks xxxxxxx
Many thanks
Sonny Bluck (sonnyb2)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have Insight pump. Its my first pump so cant compare to anything else Im afraid. I think its a great device,small, easy to use, change cartriges etc. The only downside is a super slow handset which drives me crazy :banghead:

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Hi Sonny,
I've been using the insight since April 24th this is not my 1st pump, but I'm struggling with some of th things it does, I expect this is my own fault and not the pumps due to being vision impaired.

I really feel they could have made it slightly bigger as it takes 1.6 ml cartridges and not 3ml like my old pump which is one of my problems, and my main pain in the **** is how slow the handset is, why oh why did they not instigate some of the smartphone technology into making it work quicker as I feel this is a big let down and the quality of screen text not being bold enough.

I'm still learning on this pump and there is a long way to go but compared to my old simple pump it does seem difficult. I won't give up yet as I'm a devout Accu-check user so time will tell.

My clinic have just sent me info on s 3 day Pump course they are running in August and again in September that they have organised so I'm looking forward to this.

Regards

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sonny,
I have been on the insight for 4 months now, it is my first pump so I have no comparison.
It is not magic, it requires a lot of work, regular blood testing including in the middle of the night when you first start using it and I would say a minimum of six times daily as a general rule.
The sets need to be changed every three days sometimes sooner if it starts to hurt or you find the insulin is not absorbing properly. I have to change the insulin cartridge every 21/2 days.
I have defiantly had less hypos but I still have high blood sugars at times if there is a problem with the pump your blood sugar will rise a lot quicker as you have no long acting insulin as back up.
The hand set is slow but I find it easier than getting out needles and messing around with those. I was driving long distance the other day so my husband was able to use my remote to give me insulin
I would recommend this pump and my husband thinks it is a lot better, his opinion is important as it was him that always had to pin me down in . middle of the night when I went into hypo mode.

Reactions: 2 people

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
Getting my pump in February thanks for all your help and yes I am getting the insight

bridkid_74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi i got my 1st pump on tuesday. Having being diabetic t1 for 39yrs its still feels a bit weird that soon i wont be injecting. Have heard lots of positive things about pumps so will give it ago. Finding insight ok so far but only started playing with it today. Just using it to test and see what insulin i need at the mo and then will go "live" as th dsn puts it o 9th sept!

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
What pump is better combo of insight

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do a search on the forum for this. I don't use either. I am on a fairly old Medtronic with no bells and whistles, but I have read on here that some people prefer the combo.

Hannibal

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My 8 year old daughter has been on the Insight for almost two months having spent most of the previous four years on the Combo and to be honest, I prefer the Combo and would love to go back to it. Yes, the Insight pump is smaller and does not have the tube coming out at right angles, changing the insulin cartridge is a dream (no more manual filling and bleeding out the air bubbles) and the Insight meter produces wonderful on screen reports but I still prefer the Combo.

before I go any further let me just say that I work in IT so I'm not a Luddite. I do not like the Insight because the meter is ridiculously slow, the bolus wizard is convoluted - enter a value, press save, enter the next value, press save, etc. - and it needs recharging regularly whereas the Combo meter would run for a month on a set of batteries. It also lies about the remaining charge in the pump battery; the meter shows the current charge in the pump battery as well as the remaining insulin in the pump cartridge, all well and good till you watch that charge. It stays on 100% for day after day but once it starts to drop be careful, because it drops through the floor without warning. We were bitten by that. Apparently the UK government has issued a warning about the management of batteries in the pump and the fact that the can die without warning. When setting up a multiwave bolus on the old Combo it remembered the previous settings so if you had set the previous one for 50% immediate and the rest over 1 hour then the new one would default similarly - not so on the Insight it defaults to all 100% extended. OK for me but my daughter can't handle it. Sorry Roche but another step backwards.

I don't trust the new pump's problem detection either; whereas with our old Combo the slightest bend or blockage in the tube gave us an occlusion warning the Insight didn't even detect a bent and blocked cannula. Speaking of cannulas, the new ones have a larger adhesive pad and have been redesigned to fold the tube away inside the cannula until they are in the applicator and ready to fire. The applicator has new buttons and safety features to prevent accidental firing too - all in all, a little bit safer (perhaps) but a Hell of a lot more fiddly.

If you are the sort of person who queues up on release day for the latest iPhone then you will love the Insight but I'm a pragmatist so I don't. I don't need colour screens, I don't want additional safety buttons on the cannula applicator, I do want to know when there is a problem or an error condition, I want long and reliable battery life, in summary, I want the Combo back.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good review, Hannibal. You identified many of the issues that annoy some people with the Insight. I was 'upgraded' to the Insight but hated it so I gave it back. Different pumps suit different people and the newest pump isn't always right for everyone.

Hannibal

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you Azure. I wanted to be fair as the Insight has a lot of potential but sadly I feel they have gone backwards in too many aspects to ensure it is a true "upgrade" - it's more of a prettier alternative than a true improvement.

Maybe we will see a Accu Chek Insight 2 in the near future, I hope so as it would be a shame not to take that potential and deliver a proper, reliable and fast pump.

Hannibal

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Update - we have just seen the Roche rep and there is no problem going back to the Spirit Combo - a new one will be with us in a few days. Apparently anyone who doesn't like the Insight can ask to go back but they don't publish that info as they want users to give the Insight a proper try first.

All credit to Roche, they have taken on board my comments and are moer than willing to replace the Insight. Good customer service. I even suggested they may want to alter the Insight menus to make it less convoluted for users who are fed up with the Health and Safety overkill that they have introduced