Accu chek insight

Dog Lady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had my Insight since June last year. I previously had the accu chek combo which I loved. The Insight is a real disappointment with E57 errors and loss of communication errors, I am on my second handset and this is still happening. I am going to meet with the roche rep in a few weeks for an education session. I'm dreading this as I feel as if I am going to be blamed for the problems.
I want to see about handing the pump etc back but don't want to go back full time to injections. Can I hand it back?, Has anyone else handed theirs back and if so did you get another pump?

Dog Lady

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I handed my Insight back very quickly. I was then, after discussion, given an Animas Vibe, which I'm very happy with.

I believe that other people here have talked about going back to the Combo.

I think in the end it's up to your team. I hated the Insight so much I let them know very quickly and while waiting for my Vibe went back to my old pump so I never had to go on injections.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hello Dog lady, no you are not to blame for the problems with your pump as @azure states many have had problems and many have handed the pump back and demanded the combo back or a different make of pump. Perhaps search the forum and the net and you will find loads of accounts. If the rep tries to make you out to blame hand over the info that you will have printed off for his/her benefit, then point out the pump is not fit for purpose so you want the combo back.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

I hated my Combo! And thought I'd never go back on the pump and now I've got a medtronic mini med 640 and I love it!!

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

All pumps will probably have some problems sooner or later but Accu Chek is a fairly good company and should allow pumpers to use the Combo if they so wish. I could say that the Vibe is not fit for purpose because of the dreadful lcd screen being hard to see in bright daylight but Ive not made an MHRA out of it and loads of people use the Vibe and create a work around regarding the viewing of the screen by creating a shade for it.and of course like the pump because it hasnt got quite so many settings to configure and its easier for many to use because of the 12 basal rate time slots and filling the cartridges with insulin and uses luer connecting tubes to sets.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a new user to the Insight, with an engineering and technical background (although I make no claims regarding pumps).

I found that my pump handset has a very delicate design for its USB charging, if you use a USB charger that supplies a high current level, roughly over 1amp then I have had my handset show E57 error.

To correct it I removed and reinserted the battery, others have told me they held the power button for 5 secs and reset it.

I've seen this in some mains charger sockets and some car 12v charger sockets.

The charger supplied with my pump works fine and so does the thin Apple charger. My cars only work if a use a Samsung phone charger.

I have not found any other USB charger including those built into mains wall sockets to work, and some cause E57 when plugged in.

There may also be other reasons for E57, but Roche should have better designed the power management of the USB charger.

I did speak to them and they told me it's designed for a 0.6 amp charger maximum, guess this it to maintain a longer battery life by not overcharging (fast charging).

I'm not handing mine back - other than the charging issue I'm happy and the multi bolus management is great plus too many other good things that the Combo does not have.

johnny37

I have been on the Accucheck Combo for four years and am due to upgrade. I have not had any real probs with the Combo so I have more or less chosen to upgrade to the Insight. The comments from Chas and iHs are reassuring. The Accucheck appears to generate a few strong complaints but I cant see any hard facts to justify this. Azure and ohitsnicola - could you be more precise as to what your probs were?

Thanks

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi johnny37

There have been lots of IDD's complaining about the Insight, I can only share my experiences and I know quite a few other users who are all happy with the pump. The hospital I use has a large pump user group in the UK and I have yet to find another user based there who is unhappy with their Insight.

As stated before I'm careful with mine based on what I've heard from those who are unhappy, here's my thoughts

a) USB charging the handset, as said before you need to take care and use a low power charger. I have seen this cause the E57 failure mentioned by others.

b) Pump battery, I change mine every month even though it never goes below 75%, others have reported that when it reaches 50% it then quickly drops to zero.

c) Handset battery, others have advised that you should not let the battery drain too low but charge it every 3-4 days even though its not showing as too low. If you let it drain too often to zero then the battery gets impacted and will not charge correctly needs changing (easy to do if you have a spare).

d) Handset speed, gets slower I'm told over time, if you hold down the power button for 5 secs and reset the handset (keeps all your data) then it clears and goes back to its normal slow operation. I was warned to download data to the 360 SW tool first but found that my records were not lost.

e) The Insulin Cartridge is not bubble free, I check it every morning and most days I have to prime out a 5-10mm bubble.

Again I make no claim this will work for everyone but it does for me and all the benefits of the Insight outweigh the quirks.

It is a surprise that the manufacturer has not addressed these or sent out a manual update.

Last edited by a moderator:

dovorzel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
accu chek
hi i am also on the insight, after five happy years on the combo this is a real disappointment. from the slow and always frozen handset to the continuous problems with the pump, its a real letdown. and accu chek likes to tell you that your the only patient with these issues, interesting you onlyneed to look online to see how many people find it frustrating.My doctor is trying to get me a refund and then put me onto the medtronic 640g. a shame as the customer service was great until recently and i love their infusion sets.