1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Accu Chek Mobile Cassettes

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Loey1953, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Loey1953

Loey1953 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I am a Type 1 and have just returned from my surgery having seen a diabetic nurse. I was informed that the surgery will no longer be providing cassettes for the Accu Chek Mobile because of the expense. I was given a Contour Next meter to be used with strips. Really disappointed because I found the strip free meter so convenient especially when out and about. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice on who to contact re this to put a case forward?

2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Given that the Mobile Cassettes are £16.09 per 50 and the Contour is £15.23, if it is going to reduce the number of tests and therefore the level of control you have, it's something you should be able to argue with the surgery with little difficulty.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Loey1953

Thank you so much for that Tim. I will contact the surgery.

4. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The new Aug 2015 NICE guidelines for T1s say diabetics should be given a choice of meter to suit their needs. (From memory - can't remember the exact wording). You should be able to cite those back at the GP if they are not willing to listen to just a polite request.

I am also on the Accu Chek Mobile and it's very important to my frequency of testing. I am sure I would (did) test much less when I had to faff with individual strips, separate lancet, strip disposal, etc each time.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Pilgrim22

Pilgrim22 LADA · Well-Known Member

As my finger tips are completely numb, I cannot use normal strips and fiddly lancets. So the mobile is a godsend for me.

6. Loey1953

7. Loey1953

Thanks for that information Spiker. Totally agree with you regarding the meter. Loey

8. Loey1953

Thank you Pilgrim22. I think it's a fantastic meter so I am certainly going to follow this up. Loey

• Like Like x 2
  9. Saramel

Saramel Type 2 · Active Member

I got slightly bolshy with my DN when she refused to issue the cassettes and offered me a new meter when I had just purchased the Accuchek Mobile. I told her in no uncertain terms how fiddly I found other meters and if I was forced to use another, I would just give up testing. Strangely enough, I was given a prescription for the cassettes! ;)

• Like Like x 4
  10. Brava210

Brava210 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Spiker Did you not get on with pump?
    I am having a break from mine at the moment

11. Spicey245

Spicey245 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I LOVE the Accu-Chek Mobile and Fastclix lancer drums, they are a Godsend and can be used with just one hand which came in particularly handy the other night when I was walking through town and had to test standing up with nowhere to put anything down onto!! I am using the Contour test strips with my Contour Next Link 24 meter now as I am on a Medtronic pump and it automatically sends the result of my bloods to my pump (which is also very handy) but I always carry my Accu-Chek when I'm out and about!! :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. crisbev

crisbev Type 1 · Newbie

I

13. crisbev

crisbev Type 1 · Newbie

I have been told by my doctor that they will not give out perscriptions for my meter anymore and I must use the meter that they want to give me but it is very old time why can't I have the choice anymore

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook