Accu-chek - record of when I changed cannula?

Hermione

Hello,

I recently switched from the Minimed Paradigm pump to the Accu-Chek combo, and whilst I love the full-control remote, I am definitely struggling to get used to it all.

My main question is: is there any way of finding out when you last changed the cannula and reservoir? The MiniMed showed you 'reservoir started' from the home screen, that meant I could easily keep track of when I next need to change. But I can't seem to find that on the Accu-Chek. Do I really have to resort to setting reminders on my phone each time I change my cannula?!

Just because I'm desperate for an uncharacteristic rant, here are some other features that I find maddening about it (hopefully I'm just being dim and you can show me solutions to these too!):
- It gives you no warning that the battery is running low. I was out shopping yesterday and suddenly it started alarming on me to tell me the battery was low, and then it automatically stopped the pump. ***?! Do I now have to carry spare batteries in my pocket wherever I go too!?
- You can't return straight to the home screen on the pump itself, or turn the light off (to save those precious batteries) you just have to sit and wait for it to do it itself.
- At the end of a temporary basal, an alarm goes off. I like this. The MiniMed didn't do that, and I often wished it would. But the alarm isn't a short little vibrate / sound - it's continuous - until you dig it out and press the right combination of buttons. If I'm cycling and my pump is in my bra when the temp basal ends, it's bloody annoying and offputting to have a continuous, never ending vibrating going on, yet I really don't want to have to stop, take my layers off, and dig into my bra at the side of the road.
- The general user experience of it is terrible - I mean, on the tester, the left button = left; the up button = up; down = down: right = select; menu = right! What the hell!? Who thought that one up?! And the menu configuration is a mess. But they are bringing a new touch screen one out soon which should be a bit better.

Phew. That's off my chest. Any help on the cannula change much appreciated.

Hermione

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Hermione, I feel you pain regarding set change reminders as the animas vibe doesn't have one either. I just leave a note on computer to say change it.

iHs

On the Accu chek Combo bg meter home screen, scroll down to Settings, then click on Reminders and then scroll to infusion set reminder. You can activate the reminder to be 3 or 2 days and it will altert you when to do the next set change

Reactions: 4 people

Hermione

Thanks iHs.

I have tried this, but the challenge is that if I dismiss the alarm (if it starts alarming when I'm in the middle of a meeting, for example), then there's no follow-up reminder or even note / indication that the reminder ever went off.

I've started using the reminder system on my phone for now. But I think I might go back onto my medtronic pump to be honest.

iHs

Although I used the set reminder on the Combo when I first started pumping, I ended up switching it off as there were times when I replaced the set early so the reminder then didnt work. I then just wrote down in my pump bg monitoring diary when I change cartridges, tubes and sets. These diaries are excellent for pumpers and mdi as well. I dont as yet, use any of the software available as download or on cd.