Accucheck Aviva Teststrips - difference

PickledPepper

I bought a bunch of Accucheck Aviva strips (on the cheap) and have just realised that they are a mixture of the new type (with the small green box with the diagonal black stripes on it) and the older ones (with the yellow box with black diagonal stripes).

Anyone know the difference and whether I should expect slightly different readings between packets? What should I expect? Higher or lower readings? I think the difference is between one set taking readings from blood plasma and the other whole blood btw?

Help appreciated as I am about to finish with a green batch and use the yellow ones.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Green ones are new? Mine are all the yellow ones, and they are all still in date. The yellow ones have a leaflet that explains what they measure. Yes there is a slight difference between plasma and whole blood readings, but I can't remember which was the higher, so I'd have to Google it just like you would :)

PickledPepper

Found this on that font of all knowledge that is wikipedia......

Glucose is measured in whole blood, plasma or serum. Historically, blood glucose values were given in terms of whole blood, but most laboratories now measure and report the serum glucose levels. Because red blood cells (erythrocytes) have a higher concentration of protein (e.g., hemoglobin) than serum, serum has a higher water content and consequently more dissolved glucose than does whole blood. To convert from whole-blood glucose, multiplication by 1.15 has been shown to generally give the serum/plasma level.

Yes I was being lazy weren't I.......

:oops:

Bigglesworth

Both strips provide 'Plasma like' numbers which according to the leaflet in the box is around 11 percent higher than whole blood. The Accuchk website provides a conversion table. Plasma like suggests that the numbers output are calculated and not a plasma sample based test.

herisson

Hi,
The green striped symbol indicates that these test strips will not suffer interference from maltose. They are new and will not give different readings from the yellow ones.
Cheers

hallii

Lloyds Pharmacy sell Aviva Test strips for £15.11 / 50. (no Vat)

They will be in date and of the latest sort.

There is no VAT paid on test strips, if you are asked to pay VAT ask for a VAT exemption form and fill it in there and then.

H