Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Hello people

On the Accuchek Combo pump for 9 days now and have to say its been interesting.

On the second day the handset died and I popped some new batteries in. Today it did exactly the same except after I installed new batteries it was still dead. I phoned Accuchek and they suggested I take the batteries out and pull out the battery connectors within the compartment. I did this, no change, then just rolled the batteries and it sprung back to life. This all seems very Heath Robinson to me. Ok Roche did say if it happens again, they would replace the handset, but at this rate the machine is gobbling its way through packs of batteries.

Has anyone else had these issues?

iHs

Its not funny Trina but I'm psml :lol: :roll:

I have written on the forum all about this.... its called BSD (black screen of death) :lol:

Its very annoying when it happens and I curse no end when it does it and Im not at home. Why Accu chek have made blood glucose meters like this with copper terminals to act as contacts... beggars belief. Usually, I can get mine to start again by taking the two outer batteries out, rolling them in my hands and then re-insert them. Not very good though. If it happens too often, phone Accu chek up and make them send you out a new monitor. I'm now on monitor 3.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
It is annoying when the batteries go as you lose all the history the meter stores which then takes another month or so to build up again, I would definitely ask for a new meter if a new battery didnt fix the problem.

That said Ive not had a single problem in nearly four years with either of the meters Ive had from Accu Chec, perhaps Im lucky.

jopar

I've never had a problem with my handset and it's now 2 years old..

Are you using Lith batteries or Alkaline batteries, the latter are pretty naff in the handset drain very quickly indeed, and I found that with these when power gets low, you find the screen blanks out, you have to reset your times which is a case of pressing yes when it kicks back into life...

If you are using Lith batteries try changing the brand, as sometimes different brands have a very subtle difference in size, which interferes with the power connection knocking it out,,, You can tell if you've got a contact problem, iHs just described, the warmth of you hands rolling batteries can expand them just enough to make a good contact...

Sid

Bet you had the Nano :roll: This is my back meter and it does have a known issue with the contacts a bit of a design fault going on... As you can't get at the other set of contacts to pull them out, what I did, was put some foil between the batteries and bottom contacts... Not 100% perfect but around 98% better..

Thankfully with the Combo Handset you don't lose your data

iHs

Ive only ever put Energiser lithium batteries in the pump and and handset (Accu chek supply them). Didnt know that an alternative brand could be obtained so will enquire when I next order.

jopar

I'm not sure whether Roche supply different brands within their service pack...

But I've certainly notice the difference in tightness of fitting when I've used a different brand on the odd occasion.

Mind the handset it pretty power hungry, as I don't throw away the batteries once they spent in the handset, they end up going in my Kindle light and it's surprising how long they last in the kindle light...