Type 2 Accuracy of HBA1c

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I had gestational diabetes in my recent pregnancy and since all my HBA1c’s have been normal. Baby now 6 months. I had one last week and it was 27 mmol/l but I have symptoms. Genital itching, peeing at night, fungal nail infections on all toes and sometimes tingling hands and feet. I find it hard to sleep I can feel my numbers being high and according to CGM today it was 7’s at 5am for a while and my FBG was 6.4 on Tee2+ and 6.6 on Dexcom. I was getting some 7’s some mornings too. I am now barely eating and I don’t sit down as bad for blood sugars. I need to put it in remission but I dunno how.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this is something to speak to your GP about.
Your blood glucose numbers seem about normal, so you should not be seeing fungal infections from that - though you could try testing your urine with a colour change strip just to see if it contains glucose.

Reactions: Rach612

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had gestational diabetes in my recent pregnancy and since all my HBA1c’s have been normal. Baby now 6 months. I had one last week and it was 27 mmol/l but I have symptoms. Genital itching, peeing at night, fungal nail infections on all toes and sometimes tingling hands and feet. I find it hard to sleep I can feel my numbers being high and according to CGM today it was 7’s at 5am for a while and my FBG was 6.4 on Tee2+ and 6.6 on Dexcom. I was getting some 7’s some mornings too. I am now barely eating and I don’t sit down as bad for blood sugars. I need to put it in remission but I dunno how.
Have another read of your other threads about this, and contact your GP and endo.

As you have been eating very little for a time, and are very stressed, your body may need a checkup from the surgery.

Focus on eating well, relaxing, and knowing you don't have diabetes. Have you heard back from your CPN about starting counseling?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As above and as discussed in your previous thread. Also remember getting up at 5am with a baby will involve a glucose dump diabetic or not. And probably contribute to a higher fasting one a little later too. This is only one aspect of assessing diabetes or not and you have lots of reasons why your fasting is a little high outside of diabetes. An hba1c of 27 is as far from diabetic as you could be. Starving yourself will mess with so many things not least mental well-being and could account for the symptoms you describe. Please go to your doctor and discuss ALL of your concerns and issues.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As to the title question that is not mentioned in the post, yes a few things can effect hb1ac accuracy. Usually issues around red blood cells and a couple of other uncommon things. Your dr should be able to assure you if this is relevant to you. But even some discrepancies would unlikely be significant enough to take you from 27 up to diagnostic levels.

Reactions: Rach612 and KK123

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@HSSS @Resurgam Did that no glucose in urine so that’s good.@lucylocket61
Thank you guys for replying. Hubby sent away (yet another) HBA1c yesterday so I don’t expect good news. I’m still low carbing/intermittent fasting but am very stressed. I bet the stress of the prospect of diabetes will give me it ironically! . My numbers were better this am FBS 5.2 Dexcom 5.1 Tee2+ but I only ate eggs and bacon yesterday for breakfast with a cup of tea with almond no added sugars milk. I ate same breakfast with spinach today as FBS was better and some FF Greek Yog there. Going to make keto scones this afternoon and if numbers allow tomorrow am can have one. My CGM runs out tomorrow around lunch so going to take a break from testing.

@lucylocket61 Sent form away to counsellor but no one has come back yet.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@HSSS @Resurgam Did that no glucose in urine so that’s good.@lucylocket61
Thank you guys for replying. Hubby sent away (yet another) HBA1c yesterday so I don’t expect good news. I’m still low carbing/intermittent fasting but am very stressed. I bet the stress of the prospect of diabetes will give me it ironically! . My numbers were better this am FBS 5.2 Dexcom 5.1 Tee2+ but I only ate eggs and bacon yesterday for breakfast with a cup of tea with almond no added sugars milk. I ate same breakfast with spinach today as FBS was better and some FF Greek Yog there. Going to make keto scones this afternoon and if numbers allow tomorrow am can have one. My CGM runs out tomorrow around lunch so going to take a break from testing.

@lucylocket61 Sent form away to counsellor but no one has come back yet.
In your situation less testing and more food sounds a very good idea.

The testing keeps showing the same thing. Ie you are ok. The problem is you won’t believe it. Repeated hb1ac in a matter of a week or two won’t show much change. It can’t get much better and has miles to go before it’s a problem. 3 monthly is the most often you need to consider doing it as it covers a 3 month period. Plenty of time to take action then if it ever shows a noticeable rise long before it causes trouble. Perhaps put the meter away too. ( I don’t say that often but in your situation I really really do mean it).

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hubby sent away (yet another) HBA1c yesterday so I don’t expect good news.
why not? Your HbA1c is excellent and clearly non-diabetic or pre diabetic. There is no point in having your HbA1c tested more frequently than every 3 months. Read up about the test and what it does, and doesnt show and how it works.

Ask yourself - what will it take to convince you that you are nowhere near diabetes levels?

Your obsession is fooling your mind into seeing something which isnt there. Your shaking etc is probably due to eating so few calories for such a long time. Put as much effort into getting psychiatric help as you are putting into a condition which you do not have.