Achieve your ideal weight

Landry

I have gain a lot of weight after my baby was born. I now weigh well past my ideal weight. I cannot devote time to myself as my baby takes up most of my time I m looking for an effective weight loss solution

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Are you breastfeeding? that's about the best way.
Otherwise try reducing carbs.

samcogle

I have been on various diets for years and always believed that I couldn't lose weight without joing some diet club or other. However since I was diagnosed in January I have lowered my carbs and the weight is coming off steadily. 3 stones so far so perhaps the low carb diet is the way. Good luck with it...my extra weight is baby weight and he is 13 :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Well done sam - You know it makes sense.
Extra weight - baby weight. OMG, that must have been a difficult birth !!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Never thought of that excuse.Is it possible to keep baby weight for 26 years!! :lol: :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
My baby is adopted and rising 30, will that count?

samcogle

Haha, thanks Cugila, it makes perfect sense...only taken me 42 years on this planet to work it out :? well my other son is 21 and some of my fat is his fault too plus his waist is about the size of my thigh... life is so unfair! :lol:

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Know that feeling, I breastfed my son till he was 16 months! If I hadn't stopped then, he would have still been doing it now and he's 15!!! Would have made for some interesting discussions at his parents evenings!!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I worked with a woman who breastfed her daughter for nearly 5 years. Just stopped in time for school. However neither of them has any weight problems.

ally5555

First of all how old is the baby - I think we all want to be our usual wt tthe next day!

i have had 3 babies so I think I can speak from experience!

If you are breast feeding you need good quality food nd def not low carbs - bf requires qn extra 500 calories to produce the amount of milk.

Start by writing down what u eat - most new mums have no pattern to meals - babies are so naughty they dont understand routines.

Try to cut out all the junk and eat lots of fresh foods - meat, fish , veggies, wholemeal bread, brown rice , baby new pots in their skins, fruit, and def a pint of milk a day or your bones will be depleted of calcium. Use good quality olive oil and butter.

Try to avoid alcohol - it knocks babies out and some strong flavours like curry - it can upset babies altho it didnt my 3.

Drink loads of water - the hunger pangs may be because you are thirsty.

I used to make myslf a packed lunch the night before - sounds silly but it means u can eat at lunch time.

But above all enjoy your baby - they are babies for such a short time .

oh ps go out walking - pushing the pram is great exercise - it is aerobic and wt traing in one.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ally.
I'm afraid some of the advice you are offering is not only out of date but essentially flawed.

"If you are breast feeding you need good quality food nd def not low carbs - bf requires qn extra 500 calories to produce the amount of milk."

The production of breastmilk is not dependent on an extra calorific intake. It is produced in response to a baby correctly latched at the breast and usually fed on demand.

"Start by writing down what u eat - most new mums have no pattern to meals - babies are so naughty they dont understand routines."

I would suggest that the advice to write down everything that a new mother eats would cause at best, an annoying inconvenience and at worse, an anxious and tired mother, breastfeeding or not.
And to state, in print, as an HCP that you think babies are capable of being 'naughty' is quite frankly stupid.

"Try to cut out all the junk and eat lots of fresh foods - meat, fish , veggies, wholemeal bread, brown rice , baby new pots in their skins, fruit, and def a pint of milk a day or your bones will be depleted of calcium. Use good quality olive oil and butter."

The old advice of a pint of milk a day comes from the dairy industry and not based on fact. Calcium is found in many other sources and is done so by the many cultures that don't eat/drink
animal milk. The USA have a high rate of calcium depletion problems and they are the largest consumers of cows milk. http://www.milksucks.com/osteo.asp (interesting URL!). http://babyreference.com/MilkingYourBones.htm

"Try to avoid alcohol - it knocks babies out and some strong flavours like curry - it can upset babies altho it didnt my 3."

There has been very little research on alcohol and breastfeeding, hardly surprising really, imagine getting that one past ethics! Stating things like 'it knocks babies out' could prove to be very harmful indeed. Common sense would suggest that minimal or no intake would be preferable but the fact is we just don't know. As for strong flavours, are you suggesting that the millions upon millions of women all over the UK and the world alter their diet to one without their usual strong flavours?

"Drink loads of water - the hunger pangs may be because you are thirsty."

I have one of those annoying signals too. Never get thirsty so have to decide if I'm hungry or need fluid. How much 'is loads of water'? I don't get my fluids from water so loads to me would be a glass. If you are using this statement in regards to weight loss then I see no fault. However, if you are making this statement in regards to a woman who is breastfeeding, then you are potentially causing harm. Now shame on me for not producing the reference (its buried on my hard drive somewhere), but drinking more fluid than your body dictates may reduce milk supply.

"I used to make myslf a packed lunch the night before - sounds silly but it means u can eat at lunch time."

Good idea, I never thought of that, but then again, I was in bed or asleep on the nearest floor somewhere by 9 at night when mine were new babies!

"But above all enjoy your baby - they are babies for such a short time ."

Ain't that the truth. One day you can't sit down without wincing, then you blink and they're asking for the car keys and 50 quid.

You may find the following links interesting

http://www.llli.org/NB/LVAprMay98p21NB.html 11 12

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/alcohol.html

wiflib

ally5555

frankly your comments have stunned me

First of all alcohol - it does pass into milk and i think alot of mums report they have cross babies the next day - have to say my 3 didnt like it much and were bad tempered.

Mums need good quality food and restricting calories has been shown to effect milk production - also it may mean that the mums requirements are not met - low carbing doesequate to a low calorie diet generally so in my humble opinion is the wrong time to start it.

As far as fluids are concerned mums need more and thisrt can be mistaken for hunger. Lack of fluid will effect mum and baby. A very simple way of checking if anyone is getting enough fluid is to check the clour of urine - needs to very pale and lots of it - a lot of brest feeding mums report a dark colour. I have run bf sessions for ne mums by the way.

I see a number of new mums trying to lose wt - a few are diabetics and simple advice is fine - in fact i got back to my pre pregnancy wt within 7 weeks and have stayed the same following my own advice. Filling in a food diary has had a posative effect for many as it has actually made them focus on looking after themselves too because those little bundles do take over everything.
In fact my advice re packed lunch also extends to getting my clothes ready the night before and packing baby bag etc so i could get out and about the next day. I had 3 under 5 at one point so i know how hectic it can be.

Apologies for not being pc and calling babies naughty - wiflib that is the most ridiculous comment you have ever made.

Oh last but not least bf requires more calcium and given that my own research has shown a lack of calcium from low crbing it would be unlikely that a new mum would get enough . You are anti dairy so I would expect that kind of comment .

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ding, ding. Seconds out - Round 2 :lol:

ally5555

I have just had a look at the links to calcium - so a high protein diet is the cause osteoprosis - it is a site promoting vegetarians. The power of the internet again!

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Fascinating as this is, can we return the thread to its original topic? which was:

Landry said:
I have gain a lot of weight after my baby was born. I now weigh well past my ideal weight. I cannot devote time to myself as my baby takes up most of my time I m looking for an effective weight loss solution

And not how best to feed baby.

Regards, Tubs.