Aching legs?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been having a weird aching sensation in both my legs. It's not that bad but just a bit uncomfortable. Not worse at any particular time of the day and doesn't seem to be connected to moving or not. Could this be diabetes related, even with a near-normal HBA1C? I did/do have a bit of a cold/flu so maybe it's down to that, but it's weird because I don't think I've ever had muscle aches with cold/flu before.

Reactions: shank

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If it's only come on since your cold/flu then it's likely to be related @pinewood, I get muscle ache with colds and when I last had flu I could barely move.

Reactions: 2 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks both. Hopefully it's connected with my cold and will soon pass.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to bump up such an old thread but this has returned again and I'm really not sure if it is T1D related or not.

A lot of online searching throws up diabetes as a major culprit of leg pains and aches but - given how tightly controlled my levels are - it seems unlikely to be the cause for me .... but then I don't really see any other explanations that make sense as this time it is not occuring at the same time as a cold/flu.

I am pretty active (running multiple times per week, gym classes etc.) and have not increased my workout intensity so I don't think it can just be muscle strain. Do you think it could be diabetes related even if I am not experiencing high blood sugar levels?

The aches and pains are almost constant and vary in location all over both my legs, but they don't get worse or better with movement/resting (went for a 5 mile run yesterday and it was no different to the pain when I am sitting still/lying down).

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to bump up such an old thread but this has returned again and I'm really not sure if it is T1D related or not.

A lot of online searching throws up diabetes as a major culprit of leg pains and aches but - given how tightly controlled my levels are - it seems unlikely to be the cause for me .... but then I don't really see any other explanations that make sense as this time it is not occuring at the same time as a cold/flu.

I am pretty active (running multiple times per week, gym classes etc.) and have not increased my workout intensity so I don't think it can just be muscle strain. Do you think it could be diabetes related even if I am not experiencing high blood sugar levels?

The aches and pains are almost constant and vary in location all over both my legs, but they don't get worse or better with movement/resting (went for a 5 mile run yesterday and it was no different to the pain when I am sitting still/lying down).
As someone who experiences nerve pain in my right leg often due to a herniated disc, have you had your spine checked out recently at all? While my pain starts in my lower back and spreads out into my right leg from a pinched nerve, you don't necessarily have to feel any back pain at all to feel pain in your leg from that.

As you run you have a lot of disc compression. Of course I'm biased but my first guess would be a pinched nerve somewhere in the spine. The pain doesn't go away for me either no matter what I'm doing (walking/standing/sitting/laying down) and the pain can either roll in 'waves' through my leg or move position as the day progresses. Then after a few weeks it lets up a bit and it's mostly gone... until the next episode where I overexerted myself!

Reactions: azure

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As someone who experiences nerve pain in my right leg often due to a herniated disc, have you had your spine checked out recently at all? While my pain starts in my lower back and spreads out into my right leg from a pinched nerve, you don't necessarily have to feel any back pain at all to feel pain in your leg from that.

As you run you have a lot of disc compression. Of course I'm biased but my first guess would be a pinched nerve somewhere in the spine. The pain doesn't go away for me either no matter what I'm doing (walking/standing/sitting/laying down) and the pain can either roll in 'waves' through my leg or move position as the day progresses. Then after a few weeks it lets up a bit and it's mostly gone... until the next episode where I overexerted myself!
Thanks so much for your response. I think you may have actually hit the nail on the head because I do have some lower back pain too, which followed a day or so after the aching legs. And now I come to think of it, I was carrying some heavy boxes Thursday night which may have triggered something, although there is no specific event I recall.

I had a MRI a year or so ago for UPPER BACK/neck pain which, funnily enough, showed nothing at all except for some LOWER BACK disc compression which was asymptomatic at that time because my lower back was fine, but that may explain these current issues. I guess the one thing that is troublesome is that both my legs are aching; wouldn't a spinal issue usually effect just one leg? Anyway. thanks again for your response; I hadn't thought about that. Sorry to take this off the topic of T1D!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Have you ever had your Vit D checked?

I used to have leg/bone aching a lot of the time. For years.
As soon as my Vit D came out of the deficient range it went away, and hasn't come back since.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess the one thing that is troublesome is that both my legs are aching; wouldn't a spinal issue usually effect just one leg?
No. While my right leg is the one being affected the most and is the 'primary victim' so to speak, my pain has shifted to either leg frequently. It depends how the nerve gets pinched and what discs are affected.

If you had an upper back MRI scan then it wouldn't have shown. My diagnosis and MRI showed HNP L4-L5. These are the pains I experience the most, primarily on my upper thigh and hips.

If you think this might be the case for you I recommend seeing your doctor again and having an MRI done for your lower back.

@Brunneria 's suggestion to check your vitamin levels is also a good one! You might need supplements?

Reactions: pinewood

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No. While my right leg is the one being affected the most and is the 'primary victim' so to speak, my pain has shifted to either leg frequently. It depends how the nerve gets pinched and what discs are affected.

If you had an upper back MRI scan then it wouldn't have shown. My diagnosis and MRI showed HNP L4-L5. These are the pains I experience the most, primarily on my upper thigh and hips.

If you think this might be the case for you I recommend seeing your doctor again and having an MRI done for your lower back.

@Brunneria 's suggestion to check your vitamin levels is also a good one! You might need supplements?
Thanks again. I had a full brain and spine MRI which showed a "bulging disc at L5/S1" but I had no lower back symptoms at that time so they discounted that as irrelevant.

Thanks to you both for the suggestion re: vitamin levels; presume that is something my GP would need to check via a blood test?

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a full brain and spine MRI which showed a "bulging disc at L5/S1" but I had no lower back symptoms at that time so they discounted that as irrelevant.
OH sorry! That didn't fully register with me. L5 would be one of the discs that can affect your legs so that sounds highly plausible to me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again. I had a full brain and spine MRI which showed a "bulging disc at L5/S1" but I had no lower back symptoms at that time so they discounted that as irrelevant.

Thanks to you both for the suggestion re: vitamin levels; presume that is something my GP would need to check via a blood test?

Well, yes, it is a blood test, but my doc refused to test me. Dratted man. Some nonsense about Vit D deficiency being the latest fad, and no reason to test everyone.

So I paid £28 and had it done privately. It was an NHS lab, so all above board.
Then I supplemented vits D3 and K2, as per Dr Google, on the best way to utilise Vit D
And 6 months later another test showed that my D levels were optimum.
I've been on a lower, maintenance dose of D3 and K2 ever since.

The difference to my mood, energy levels, aches, pains and physical 'wellness' has been huge.

dazlyn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogance

HI Pinewood

Did you ever get to the bottom of why your legs ache, started on insulin 3 years ago type 2 and have been having aches since which has progressively getting worse, some research that i had done stated that not everyone can use modern insulins, i was really bad with glargine, i am now currently on porcine (animal insulin) but still getting worse. i have always been low milage runner, like to cycle once a week and a swim. but recently i struggle with 5k, after the first 2k i feel ok but afterwards, i feel like i have lactic acidosis. legs feel so heavy, thighs, quad and more so calfs. going to have a ABI test in the next few days, currently still have pulses etc in my feet with no nerve problems

Cheers Daz

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI Pinewood

Did you ever get to the bottom of why your legs ache, started on insulin 3 years ago type 2 and have been having aches since which has progressively getting worse, some research that i had done stated that not everyone can use modern insulins, i was really bad with glargine, i am now currently on porcine (animal insulin) but still getting worse. i have always been low milage runner, like to cycle once a week and a swim. but recently i struggle with 5k, after the first 2k i feel ok but afterwards, i feel like i have lactic acidosis. legs feel so heavy, thighs, quad and more so calfs. going to have a ABI test in the next few days, currently still have pulses etc in my feet with no nerve problems

Cheers Daz

Darren, just a thought, you weren't put on statins at the same time were you?

Bella2017

I've been having a weird aching sensation in both my legs. It's not that bad but just a bit uncomfortable. Not worse at any particular time of the day and doesn't seem to be connected to moving or not. Could this be diabetes related, even with a near-normal HBA1C? I did/do have a bit of a cold/flu so maybe it's down to that, but it's weird because I don't think I've ever had muscle aches with cold/flu before.
I had similar pains when I first got diagnosed with high blood sugars, test yourself to rule it out as it associated with dka.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @pinewood, As a general rule I have been experiencing leg aches more in the past 2 years than before.
Sometimes worse with a highish BSL around 10 mmol/l but does not immediately settle with BSLs returning to a normal range.
Walking tends to leave me with muscles aches and sore feet the day after but nothing that sounds like it is nerve trouble..
Yes any general viral infection may or not may not be associated with aching legs. My GP said that each viral infection can be slightly different in how it affects you.
My GP also said that pain going down my leg below the knee could be due to pressure on nerve in the back but that is not like I have and that pain going down both legs needs more attention as slipped discs can (rarely) cause difficulty with passing urine - and that is a medical emergency. Apparently pressure on the nerves to the bladder is a BIG deal.
For me a number of tests later, and trials of CoQ10, Vitamin D +K, the reality is likely to be that at the 52 years mark on insulin, aches are par for the course. I am getting older !!! Surprise !! Not that I am giving up - just continuing to try various things.
I do know that stress makes my leg aches worse and that finding things to distract myself with does helps.
If I find something else as a cause or as a remedy I shall let you know!!
Best Wishes and remember, humour is always good medicine.

dazlyn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogance
Darren, just a thought, you weren't put on statins at the same time were you?
HI sorry for the late reply i was put on statins but then came off them as a experiment just to rule them out . Darren

dazlyn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogance
Hi @pinewood, As a general rule I have been experiencing leg aches more in the past 2 years than before.
Sometimes worse with a highish BSL around 10 mmol/l but does not immediately settle with BSLs returning to a normal range.
Walking tends to leave me with muscles aches and sore feet the day after but nothing that sounds like it is nerve trouble..
Yes any general viral infection may or not may not be associated with aching legs. My GP said that each viral infection can be slightly different in how it affects you.
My GP also said that pain going down my leg below the knee could be due to pressure on nerve in the back but that is not like I have and that pain going down both legs needs more attention as slipped discs can (rarely) cause difficulty with passing urine - and that is a medical emergency. Apparently pressure on the nerves to the bladder is a BIG deal.
For me a number of tests later, and trials of CoQ10, Vitamin D +K, the reality is likely to be that at the 52 years mark on insulin, aches are par for the course. I am getting older !!! Surprise !! Not that I am giving up - just continuing to try various things.
I do know that stress makes my leg aches worse and that finding things to distract myself with does helps.
If I find something else as a cause or as a remedy I shall let you know!!
Best Wishes and remember, humour is always good medicine.

dazlyn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogance
HI kite doc i would agree with the walking , that leaves me aching too, i do tend to walk around 6 - 10 mile though, might have a look at the CoQ10, Vitamin D +K,, Cheers Darren

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dont forget to stretch those muscles after exercising as you can develop imbalances. Muscle tightness or a tone imbalance can cause all sorts of muscle aches. Ones to target are hamstrings, calves and hip flexors.