Adjusting dosages when sick

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - just checking what do you all do when you're fighting infections, etc. ?? My endo told me to adjust my basal insulin only by increasing by 2 units. I've already done that and my BGL's are still higher than normal. I'm waking up over 7 the last few days where I normally am between 5-6.5 at the most. Also the weather has been hot here and that seems to increase my sugar level too. I'm thinking I may need to keep increasing my basal dosage.

I handed in another urinalysis to the pathology clinic yesterday and just waiting for the result. But I've had 2 infections already this month and it feels like I have another right now. :( The only frustrating thing is it really messes with my sugar levels. But when I go on antibiotics, usually by the 3rd day my sugar levels improve. The problem I have right now is that they're making me wait a week after coming off antibiotics to get a test done. ugh. I have a bladder condition and that's probably contributing to why I'm getting these uti's.

Also a few months back I was pulled off baclofen and put back on it and ever since my sugar has been higher than my usual too.... but right now I'm not getting any low numbers.

I just get a bit nervous adjusting my dosages too much as I am trying to avoid hypos too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi - just checking what do you all do when you're fighting infections, etc. ?? My endo told me to adjust my basal insulin only by increasing by 2 units. I've already done that and my BGL's are still higher than normal. I'm waking up over 7 the last few days where I normally am between 5-6.5 at the most. Also the weather has been hot here and that seems to increase my sugar level too. I'm thinking I may need to keep increas;)ing my basal dosage.

I handed in another urinalysis to the pathology clinic yesterday and just waiting for the result. But I've had 2 infections already this month and it feels like I have another right now. :( The only frustrating thing is it really messes with my sugar levels. But when I go on antibiotics, usually by the 3rd day my sugar levels improve. The problem I have right now is that they're making me wait a week after coming off antibiotics to get a test done. ugh. I have a bladder condition and that's probably contributing to why I'm getting these uti's.

Also a few months back I was pulled off baclofen and put back on it and ever since my sugar has been higher than my usual too.... but right now I'm not getting any low numbers.

I just get a bit nervous adjusting my dosages too much as I am trying to avoid hypos too.
@Mep i have in the past used novarapid and levermir. I have adjusted in 2s for 2-3 days either way to help keep my bgs in good range. Do you know how to treat a hypo if one comes your way? I also adjusted the novarapid by 2 units when i was at home so i could treat a possible hypo easier. Have you had a night hypo before? Have you woken through the night sweating? For me 2 units made very little difference but i am serverly insulin resistant. Let me know how you get on.

Reactions: 2 people

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm normally told to boost my up by 4 units at a time and when I do I have to wait for 4-5 days so that I have a record of a few tests of my sugars before I do it again until I find the right dose of insulin or my sugars are normal and that is what I am told by the doctors and nurses for the hospital I go to

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks everyone :)

I checked out that link himtoo. That is saying to give extra shots of bolus insulin which is interesting. Then maybe it would work better than my increase of basal which doesn't appear to be working too well. I've gone up to 14 units for past few days and seem to only drop as low as 7 when normally during the day at the same time I'd be between 5-6.

ickihun - yes I have had numerous hypos and know how to treat them. I've had the night hypos a lot in the past. That is why my endo wanted me to drop my basal to 12 units. But when I'm sick it seems that this dosage is just not working. So I think I will increase to 16 tonight and see how I go. I'm waiting to find out the test result and hoping I get that this afternoon. If I do have an infection then I will have to go and get antibiotics to start straight away. I'm definitely in a fair amount of pain today, more than my usual.

Jordi77 - it sounds like you have received different information than me from your hospital. Mine says only to increase by 2 units and wait at the most 3 days. But yours would make sense too as it is a bigger increase. I think it is the basal dosage though that can cause the night hypos so I guess maybe that is why my endo and the hospital I go to are more conservative about it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
thanks everyone :)

I checked out that link himtoo. That is saying to give extra shots of bolus insulin which is interesting. Then maybe it would work better than my increase of basal which doesn't appear to be working too well. I've gone up to 14 units for past few days and seem to only drop as low as 7 when normally during the day at the same time I'd be between 5-6.

ickihun - yes I have had numerous hypos and know how to treat them. I've had the night hypos a lot in the past. That is why my endo wanted me to drop my basal to 12 units. But when I'm sick it seems that this dosage is just not working. So I think I will increase to 16 tonight and see how I go. I'm waiting to find out the test result and hoping I get that this afternoon. If I do have an infection then I will have to go and get antibiotics to start straight away. I'm definitely in a fair amount of pain today, more than my usual.

Jordi77 - it sounds like you have received different information than me from your hospital. Mine says only to increase by 2 units and wait at the most 3 days. But yours would make sense too as it is a bigger increase. I think it is the basal dosage though that can cause the night hypos so I guess maybe that is why my endo and the hospital I go to are more conservative about it.
Keep us updated @Mep. I hope they get you painfree soon. Then the diabetes can step back in line. ;-)