1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Adjustments to overnight basal rates

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by leggott, Mar 28, 2012.

1. leggott

leggott · Well-Known Member

My sons bg seems to be rising between 2-3am in the morning, so I need to adjust his basal. I was thinking of increasing the rate between 11-1pm, but wasn't sure if I should be increasing the basal a little earlier than that (what time delay should I be working on) ie how long before should I be making the adjustment. I plan on making the smallest increase each time, to avoid any hypos.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Riri

Riri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello - I'm having the same problems. Originally I was told by my DSN to adjust 2hrs hrs before the rise time starts but I started having hypos in the early days of pumping. I then read from an useful link on here that it should be 1 hour so this is what I use now.

At the moment I'm increasing my basal from 9pm to 2am in small increments (I was starting to get higher sugars at 10.00pm through to 3am). I have to say I've been adjusting now for the past 2/3 weeks and the jump that's needed in basal from 9pm is quite significant or so it seems to me - 0.70 to 0.950, and it still doesn't seem to be enough. Are you finding basal requirement during this time quite a lot more?

Hope this info helps.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl · Well-Known Member

I'd look at the hours 12-1 or 1-2, it really depends which insulin you're using & how quickly it gets active. Start with the smallest increment, test for a couple of nights then adjust again. Small changes ate safest.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook