adrenaline causing DROPS in blood sugars.....

trevorfather

Has anyone seen anxiety or stress cause the opposite effect to that normally expected..... ie a LOWERING of blood sugar levels?

I have observed this in my 22 year old daughter repeatedly. (diagnosed 20 years ago taking insulin [in HUGE doses]) I would welcome any information available as her doctors do not seem to think this is possible.

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very unusual as stress hormones tend to push blood glucose up :? Hopefully your daughter can plan ahead for when she knows she may be particularly stressed or anxious.

trevorfather

More info....
The ONLY times my daughter has had any serious low numbers have been occasions when she has been excited or scared.
A good example would be when she saw her sister unexpectedly when she was living abroad (her sister had to call an ambulance as she was seriously "low". another was when she mad a surprise visit to us for a birthday, she few home secretly from Spain as a surprise and promptly ended up in hospital with a serious hypo.
Other than occasions like this her numbers are far from good , but consistently stable albeit far too high.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
All I can say is, when I was having problems last year and lived in constant fear of hypos, any additionally stressful or scary situation would send my BSs low. So I had exactly the same problem as your daughter. My diabetic nurse did believe that this could happen in some people but could no offer remedy apart from me chilling out more. My adrenaline levels were tested and they were fine. Gradually, when my life started to improve and I eventually returned to work the hypos grew less and less. I can remember that time vividly though and I definately believe that some diabetics can suffer low blood sugars when stressed. Obviously the main advice I can give is test regulary and more often when something out of th ordinary is happening. All the best.