advice needed please

nuttynurse

since having a gastric by pass op 3 years ago i get quite bad hypos maybe 2-3 times a week ,it usually comes on as palpitations, confusion and excesive shaking and my levels go down to about 2 mmols ,the docs say im not diabetic yet i have all the symptoms ,how can this be? i also get a lot of fungal infections and my urine has a very distinctive smell its almost like a yeasty smell like wheat
i tested my urine whilst at work yesterday just out of curiosity and everything was ok except for the ketones one mine looked nothing like any color on the chart it was like a dark gry colour ,anybody understand as i havent got a clue and im worried because i have to fast from 8am tomorrow as im having surgery in the afternoon but what do i do if i go hypo?
any advice welome as im completely stumped and worried

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The gastric bypass is preventing you from getting enough nutrition and anyone, diabetic or not, can get a hypo if they're hungry. You may need a more "energy dense" diet. Talk to a dietitian.
As to the colour on the ketostix, I don't know, so can't help. Maybe someone else on here can.

nuttynurse

i dont always get the hypos when i havent eaten i can get one sometimes half an hour or so after eating a healthy meal or snack ,they come on at any time of the day
when they come on i eat something to bring it up then i go the other way from eating too many carbs and feel sick and all sweaty and tired

Trinkwasser

Gastric bypass is known to "cure" some forms of Type 2, which it seems to do by interfering with some circuit not fully understood yet, so your best bet would be to ask the surgeon or others who are knowledgeable about the procedure.

What you describe sounds like "reactive hypoglycemia" where your BG jumps up after eating and your pancreas comes in late and knocks your BG down too low. This can also be caused by "dumping syndrome" when food is rushed out of the stomach into the intestines quickly and which can also be a result of certain types of surgery. Again really expert opinion is required.