Advice needed regarding driver without licence

mysteryman

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have a close relative who is type 1 and has not had a valid driving licence for at least 2 years and may even be since 2008. He claims he "lost" as in cannot find his licence so he does not know when the 3 year term came up for renewal. He is still driving around on a regular basis including going to diabetic hospital appointments some 45 mile away.
I have been trying to get him to sort it for 2 years but there is always some reason why he cannot send the form off. Im wondering if any of these seem valid.
He says he is waiting for the results of the latest blood test from the doctors, but as he seems to go every 2 weeks how long should this take? Just recently under pressure from me he now says its because he does not think his eyesight is good enough. Do type 1 diabetics get free eye tests and glasses?

Can you get banned from driving as a diabetic and therefore this is why he wont send the form to DVLA? I am concerned as he not only drives himself around but also his 4 year old daughter. I know that he recently had a hypo at home and his wife called the paramedics would this prevent him from getting a licence?

Finally, and sorry for all the questions, he does have a wound on one of his toes which seems to heal and then if it gets too much pressure opens up. It seems to be always bandaged and i know it recieves regular medical attention at a clinic. If it never fully heals would this prevent him getting another licence.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are worried, and rightly so, sounds like your relative is very aware he is driving when he shouldn't be, he may be breaking the law, he may have already had his license revoked by the DVLA and not telling you.

I get the underlying question in your post is you probably know all ready that he shouldn't be driving and wonder what you should do about it? I think you already know the answer to your own question if you are honest with yourself,

I feel for you you are in an awful position and I wouldn't like to have to make this kind of call about someone I care about, no one can tell you what to do but you have to make a decision you can live with.

What would I do? Try talking to him again and see if I could get through to him how much he is putting himself, his child and other road users in danger,
If he still made all those claims he is making I would tell him that if he didn't face up to what was happening I would inform the DVLA and let them take it from there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but I think you realise you need to do something

Reactions: 2 people