advice needed with insulin dose

sophsmam

Our daughter is currently on 36 units of levemir and 1 unit per 5 grams of novorapid.she needs 2 units more at lunch for her bloods to remain below 10 at tea.She did go swimming at 6.30 last night
Today she woke up with b/s of 3.8 below 5 till lunch 4.5 4.2 and 4.2 at lunch.While we went out she had a hypo but beforehand she'd had a snack.sophie is usually between 4 and 9 thoughout the day.
Her levemir runs out about 3ish so could it be her novorapid is too much.i have been reducing her carb intake so she doesn't need a large amount of insulin.It did seem at one point that the more we increased her levemir,the more novorapid she needed.
I know i need to see what happens other the next 3 days because i know that this could be just a one off.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi,
I find when Andrew does anything really physical like swimming, the next day he can run a bit on the low side, its as if his body is still in overdrive and we counteract that by reducing his Levemir the night of exercise and his body readjusts so to speak then things are back to normal the next night. If you don't want to adjust Sophies Levemir then give her extra carbs the day after swimming and reduce her novo. Its all balance and trial and error isn't it, were on the verge of splitting Andrews Levemir, not looking forward to it and keep putting it off, should wait till Christmas holidays , but with his readings don't think we can. December is such a busy month, with work, pantos, plays and dinners, plus finding time to shop! But i need to bite the bullet and deal with it, Andrew doesn't care either way! So its figuring out the best course to slpit, either 50/50 straight off or reducing by 2 each night and injecting 2 each morning and gradually decreasing/increasing.
Take care,
Suzi x

sophsmam

Sophie was having extra carbs after breakfast because she felt she was in a hypo all the time.But nothing would bring them above 5 so see how today goes.We yet haven't had to split her levemir hope it goes ok suzi.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
I think Andrew and Sophie are both at the stage where the large doses of Levemir at night just isn't doing them any favours, if Sophs finding it hard to reach 5 in the morning even with extra carbs then a split would benifit her. Andrew is now on 23 units of levemir at bedtime and is around bs of 10 which is far too high for him int he morning, as he's usually perfect at 5, at 3pm he's 6. and by 4pm without snack he's in the early teens, Levemir running out. So this weekend i'm splitting his Levemir, determined not to make any excuses, i just hate change, but as bs is all over the place at the mo, i really have no choice. Its just not the best of months to be doing it, December is always so busy, and i can't afford to be running to the school every 5mins if things go haywire!! Fingers crossed we nail it within a few days x
Suzi x

sophsmam

the morning b/s of 3.8 was just a one off and all back to normal.Sophie doesn't need her levemir spliting yet,we've got her b/s finally under control she did need 2.5 adding on at lunch to keep her below 10 at tea but now only 1.5.
Hope it goes ok suzi at the weekend.

jj.sam

Hi there,

I'm recently diagonsed type 1 and have had a bit of a 'rolla coaster ride' when it comes to injections and physical activity. I can get up in the morning, have a bowl of cereal and go out for a good cardio work out (run or circuit training). After i have trained i then usuaslly have a bowl of porridge a bacon sandiwch and some fruit. The only time i check my b/g is first thing before training. I find that i dont really get an accurate reading until 2 - 3 hours after training. Once i have let the dust settle i then test and make a decision on an injection. Some mornings training and eating like this i dont require any fast acting insulin until at least lunch time. I dont make any changes to my long lasting dosage and just adjust my fast acting depending on what type of training and what the b/g level is afterwards. For me, this is working and my b/g has been on average 5.5 - 7 over the last couple of weeks. I train Tues, Thurs mornings and on a Friday lunch time usually and often play hockey on a wednesday.

I'm not sure if this is any use to you, i am finding that there is a lot of information that is of value to everyone with diabetes, however a lot of methods for adjusting dosage and daily routine come down to the individual as we are different.

Good luck with the swimming.