Advice needed.

snowballnc700

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 diet controlled and have just had my 2nd HBA1C test result today of 38, which I think is pretty good, looks like I have the blood /Glucose thing under control, however my cholesterol readings are high, ie 5.9, Hdl= 1.2 Ldl = 4.02 , 3 months ago it was 5.6, the Doctor wants to put me on Statins to bring it down. Prior to being diagnosed as type 2 I had not had a Cholesterol test so have no idea how long I have had high readings or how low carbing has affected it.I am not overweight, exercise regularly and feel great. Has anyone any advice please.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Well you could take the statins and see if they make a difference?

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

I take statins , even though my cholestrol is 3 was 7
They come as a package for me with metformin ......last review we discussed and I am staying on them for now...hope you get to discuss what is right for you soon ....

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
I have been on Statins for two years now...My chol was 9.5, it is now down to 5.2,they have helped me a lot,plus I have lost 2 stone,when my chol gets to about 4.,then I will think about coming off them...xox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put on statins in February with cholesterol at 6.1, Trigs 1.25, HDL 1.56, LDL 4. Exactly one month later they were 3.6, 1.15, 1.44 and 1.6, and my liver function test was normal. No side effects.
I am staying on them until my next blood test and will then hopefully stop.

The decision to take them or not is yours alone, but as long as you don't suffer any of the potential side effects and have a liver function test after the first month I personally would do as your GP recommends, at least until the levels come down, then have a review.

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
When I was told a month ago that I have Diabetes,my Liver,Hear and kidneys test came back fine...I am grateful for that as I used to be a binge drinker,but that all stopped 2 years ago...So happy my kidneys and liver are fine...xox

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, and your levels are lower than mine.

Presumably the GP wants to reduce your heart disease risk - there is little real scientific evidence that the two are directly linked and plenty against (IMO).

He could also just be wanting to 'sign you up' and add another number to his target.

Your call, but you might want to read Kendrick ('The Great Cholesterol Con') and Graveline ('The Statins Damage Crisis') on this issue.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with sanguine. In my opinion your cholesterol readings are not high. Mine were higher than yours and have come down now with a low carb diet. Of course it's up to you, but I would not take statins with your readings. I have refused them several times. Low cholesterol is more of a problem for the heart than high cholesterol.

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Oh my...Well I am going to see him next week,and I will talk about it with him,very interesting...Maybe my levels came down more so because I lost the weight,am just scared if I stopped,my chol would go up again,but then even if my sugar gets to normal,I will never change my diet of low carbs,I feel to good on it...Thank you for your replies...xox

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am unconvinced with the 'evidence' that links high cholesterol with heart disease - and VERY unconvinced with the 'evidence' that statins do what is claimed.

I should spend the time between now and your appointment reading everything you can on the subject, and make up your own mind.

But don't assume that your doctor will know what you are talking about - if you do your research properly you'll probably have far more info than your GP does.

Reactions: 7 people