advice on cgm monitor brands please

Rox000

Hey everyone
My diabetic nurse has given me contact details of two companies that sell cgm monitors.
First brand is dexcom g5
Second is medtronic guardian connect.
Could anyone give me some insight on which may be better and why?I have researched a little on them both however my best bet i feel is to ask ppl who may have used these machines to help me make my decision...
Thankyou Any advice appreciated
Rox

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
The Medtronic has a few components the actual sensor is enlite and the transmitter component is the Guardian Connect. If you have a Medtronic pump or are interested that one is the way to go. I have no experience with the dexcom, however there is another one out there Libre by Abbott. I can than the Libre to pushing me down the pump path, however I have found the Libre sensors the easiest to stick on also very unreliable. As I have to pay for them AUD$95.00 very disappointing that 3 out of 11 sensors failed, one failed in less than a day. Libre you have to wave a reader or android phone over it, the others are quite a bit smarter and will talk to phones or pumps well at least the Medtronic does.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dexcom is the best by far especially the G5. It speaks directly to your phone and lasts the longest sensor wise (guaranteed for 7 days, most get 14 days per sensor, I normally get 20+ days each) This fact alone makes it the cheapest to run if you're self funding. T1- CGM group on facebook has a really good comparison file if you take a look there.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dexcom for me. Only cgm I've ever used but find it a brilliant piece of kit. I use the G4 platinum. Initial outlay is more expensive than G5 but G4 suits me better. Would definitely recommend dexcom.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have s Dexcom g5 platinum and it's brilliant I've had it about a month now and it's doing it's job really well no problems at all
Regards
Tracey167

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'll also second the Dexcom G5, I restart the sensors every 7 days and get mostly 30 days out of mine (but it does vary quite widely on what people get).

The Libre is a manual scan sensor (run the reader over the sensor to get reading) rather than automated like the Dexcom and Medtronic. Another company makes a clip on bluetooth transmitter for the Libre to make them automatic but think these are not waterproof.