1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Advice on cycling glasses

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by kirimaru, Mar 19, 2020.

1. kirimaru

kirimaru Type 1 · Newbie

Hi guys, need some advice please. As I will start cycling soon so I am looking for cycling glasses. Yet I am overwhelmed with the brands and lens options. So far, it seems that Oakley is the most popular brand for cycling glasses but I don't really know which pair to choose. There are some nice ones from SmartBuyGlasses but I'm not quite sure if I should go for it. [​IMG]

Have anyone try Oakley before, which one would you recommend? Or if you have any other brand to suggest with a good pair of sunglasses for cycling?

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The ones I got were prescription sunglasses which were polarized.

You might better more responses on a cycle forum.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I guess it all depends on your budget, I had a set of Oakley sun glasses they were pricey but they were good! These days as I’m retired I use some wrap around safety glasses they look ok and if there is any stones flying around I know my eyes are safe

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MarkHaZ123

MarkHaZ123 · Well-Known Member

I have a pair of £3 clear glasses off ebay for when it's not nice out and I have some normal shades from River Island or somewhere like thay which cost about £10

No point buying anything over the top unless your budget goes that way and you really want something

Alot of my cycling stuff is just off ebay and its all really good. My thermals are great

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would make sure they are impact resistant, and personally, wouldn’t spend a fortune in them because it’s hard to be precious about looking after them when you are cycling.

I have some cheap but effective safety specs with built-in bifocals for peering at my bike computer. :cat:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Redvee

Redvee Type 1 · Member

I usually wear two different glasses on my commute depending on the weather every day cause I ride to work in daylight and ride home in darkness at 22:00. My dark glasses are a cheap £20 pair from Cotswold leisure and my clear ones are Bolle Contour safety specs which can be had for around £5 on Ebay. I do look after my riding glasses with regular cleaning even though they are cheap but know that if I do break them it won't break the bank when it comes to replacing them.

7. bmtest

bmtest · Well-Known Member

From what you have stated I would go with what fits you best and gives yoy the best overall vision.

I cycle to work in all weather and use a pair of varifocals as approaching 60 i have little choice in what i wear

If i was younger i would have a full wrap around pair impact resistance and a pair for strong sun.

With any riding in all weathers your eyes are up against it i.e road chippings, insects,salt,gravel,hail stone,snow and heavy rain.

The eyes keep you alive in traffic so buy best you can afford so treat yourself.

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve seen many, many glasses fall of the faces of riders, and then get run over by the bikes behind them. Don’t spend a lot of money because of what might happen to them. But make sure they fit snugly, or don’t buy them.

I do think it’s very important to always wear glasses. Having a pair of clear for dark/cloudy days is a smart idea. When pebbles get pinched off the corners of bike tires and the shoot off like like a firearm, always wearing glasses could save your eyes. Seen these stones hit lots of people. I’ve been hit. They can really hurt!

9. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh no. I've just discovered yet another way to accessorise my cycling.

Thanks everyone. With one good eye, and one short sighted eye, it makes a great deal of sense to wear glasses - but until now I had only got as far as thinking that sunglasses were a good idea in bright weather.

You can tell I am a cycling newbie, can't you? :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Bittern

Bittern Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use prescription polarised sunglasses with largish lenses.

11. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hmmm having just rediscovered cycling again after a hiatus, I am reassessing my eyewear. The safety specs, while good, don’t seem to have the quality that makes them great for longer rides. I am probably going to replace them with some reasonable quality sunnies with better optical clarity, but I won’t spend a fortune.

I have since discovered that you can buy stick-on bifocal patches will be plenty good enough for inspecting my phone or computer or making on the go small repairs.

I also use a bungee cord thing with an adjustable toggle to keep them on my face. It’s not noticeable when I am wearing my helmet, and besides, I am not a fashion maven! :cat:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook