Advice on lowering reads

junieliz

Hi all, my husband is type two, when diagnosed two years ago after a routine doctors appointment his blood read was 30. He is on medication and we watch his diet and his reads are often between 3.5 and 5. He workes full time in the steel industry, and he asked me how when at work would he lower his read if it was high. When at home if it goes higher than normal we would go for a walk and this brings it down, but at work this would be difficult as he is a machine driver, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks junieliz

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Does he take his food with him when he's working or does he eat in a canteen? If he takes his own food you could carb count to keep the levels down.If he is in a canteen,more difficult,he would have to pick lower carb meals if they have them.

Knowledge is the key to control

junieliz

Hi Sue, thanks for your reply, my husband takes his own food, as he works shifts it is difficult, he takes two sandwiches and fruit on days, but on nights he does 10 hour shifts so has to take enough for two breaks, and he also does continental shifts which means double backs eg: 3 night shifts, last night shift in bed for 7am up again at 11.45am to go on afternoon shift. On afternoons 2 shifts gets home at 8.15pm up next morning at 4.15am for day shift. So you can see he has a difficult week body clock all over so how we manage to keep his reads ok who knows as he does get tired, and he is nearly 63 so that is part of it. Any ideas as to what I could give him for his pack up instead of two lots of sandwiches on 10 hour shifts. Thanks junieliz.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Does he have access to a microwave at work? Do you know if pastas/rice put up his sugars? I take sandwiches to work,I work 11 hour night shifts. I have a tea break with some Rich teas at 11 then have my sandwiches at about 3 then more tea and rich teas at 6 .This usually keeps me going till 8.30 when I get home and have breakfast.My usual snadwiches are salad and some cold meat,I also take a small container of chopped up fruit for afters.

Here's a useful link.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/recipes-archi ... chive.html

Knowledge is the key to control

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Junieliz,

Your husband should only get a high BS reading if he has eaten something that was too high in carbohydrate or sugar. Would it be possible for him to take a sandwich for one meal (bread so therefore carbohydrate) and a low carb meal for the second one, like a tupperware with a salad of eggs, cheese or meat with tomato, lettuce, cuc umber, onion (pickled or raw). The second meal would be low carbohydrate so shouldn't cause a sudden rise in BS, but would be high in protein so would keep the energy levels high.

junieliz

Hi Sue & Dennis, have taken on board what you have both said, I have looked at the recipes Sue and some ideas, and yes there is a microwave at work so will be trying to introduce new foods. It is difficult when at work, I don't want to either under or over feed, it's getting a balance. Thanks Dennis for your input will now only be making two sandwiches and salad for second meal. I try to limit eggs because of cholesterol but if they are ok in moderation. Also we have to watch blood pressure etc. Thank you junieliz