Advice on Newcastle Diet for smaller women

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I was diagnosed type 2 about 8 months ago. Didn't do much but started to monitor glucose about 3 weeks ago. Panicked as I was averaging around 10. I already knew about Newcastle diet but I'm a bit confused. Went to see GP who has referred me to diabetic dietician as she'd never heard of Newcastle diet . I really want to do this diet but I am 4 ft 11 and overweight (BMI 27.5) and just a 'normal' diet recommends 800cals ie not a very low cal diet. Do you think this diet is ok for me or would the calorie level be so low I'd collapse. Any ideas etc really appreciated

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
800 calories is low cal for pretty much any adult.
along with it being low calorie it helps the liver to get rid of any excess fat that in turn causes the body to sort of kick start itself into possibly better utilising the insulin your body produces.

do see your dietician and talk about newcastle - I know T2's that have been successful in putting their D into remission

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I was diagnosed type 2 about 8 months ago. Didn't do much but started to monitor glucose about 3 weeks ago. Panicked as I was averaging around 10. I already knew about Newcastle diet but I'm a bit confused. Went to see GP who has referred me to diabetic dietician as she'd never heard of Newcastle diet . I really want to do this diet but I am 4 ft 11 and overweight (BMI 27.5) and just a 'normal' diet recommends 800cals ie not a very low cal diet. Do you think this diet is ok for me or would the calorie level be so low I'd collapse. Any ideas etc really appreciated
May I ask what it is specifically about you being smaller that concerns you? (I'm a little taller than you but only 160cm.)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In my mind smaller body would mean less caloric need...
I am 5'8 and 125 and do great on low cal diet

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok before I was diagnosed I have dieted . Those diets I have been on recommended 800 Cals . I did take weight off doing them but not as dramatically as the ND. They definitely didn't make me ketogenic. My normal calorie requirement is normally about 1300 (which in most men would be a low cal diet ). See the problem?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not always the calories but more the type of calories. grains starch sugar and for some dairy will halt weight loss (and BS). You have to find YOUR nitch. Mine is VLC veg some protein and some healthy fats. 800 calories of baked goods, grains and starches vs whole foods, veg, lean protein and healthy fat will have opposite results, at least for me

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you have done 800 calorie diets before if I were you I would try a low carb diet. Have a look at these links.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb

As diabetics we need to be careful with carbs. Not all calories are treated equally by the body which is probably why, like me, you havn't had great success with 800 calorie diets.

Have a look at the next link, I did an experiment back in the summer to prove this to myself. It's not for everyone as dairy doesn't suit everyone but I'm including it as an illustration of carbs v fat.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-5-day-dairy-fat-fast.81433/

Good luck. I hope you find the right path for you. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have wondered about this myself. I mean, a petite person is going to see MUCH less weight loss on 800 cals than a larger, taller, wider person. It is just common sense. Your basal metabolic rate is going to be lower at the start, simply because you are more petite.

As far as I can tell the ND isn't particularly low carb - unless you choose a low carb shake option.
But the Mosely one is real food, so you can make it as LC as you like.
I agree that in your situation, no matter how many calories you ultimately choose to go for, that emphasising the LC food choices would probably be more helpful.

Good luck, and hope you come back and update us! :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I could remember where I saw this, but I'm pretty sure I've read that there is no advantage in going any lower than 800 cal in terms of weight loss no matter what size or sex you are.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok before I was diagnosed I have dieted . Those diets I have been on recommended 800 Cals . I did take weight off doing them but not as dramatically as the ND. They definitely didn't make me ketogenic. My normal calorie requirement is normally about 1300 (which in most men would be a low cal diet ). See the problem?

I think whatever "diet" we adopt, for those without additional metabolic issues, those with more excess weight existing at the outset are likely to lose fastest once they either reach their own calorific deficit or discover their "magic formula" for weight loss. I use "magic formula" that way deliberately as some folks have found that getting themselves into dietary ketosis ( as opposed to ketoacidosis) means, for them, they can lose weight whilst consuming more calories than they might expect. For them, this often means low carb, with increased fat consumption.

I am still unclear about what you are actually trying to achieve with your weight loss; whether it is a general trimming up, or some additional action on your diabetic condition.

There appear to be a great many ways to lose weight, and almost as many ways for individuals to control their blood sugars. I think you have to decide which you feel most comfortable with, but if all you want is a miracle, quick hit, quick fix, then I would urge you to think it through. For the vast, vast majority of folks who manage to get their weight into a great, healthy place and rein their diabetic bloods firmly into the non-daibetic ranges, there is a maintenance regime required. Yes, there are a number who appear, to have crossed the diabetic Rubicon and post-diet, can eat, drink and be merry like someone who can't spell diabetes, never mind be diagnosed as diabetic, but they are in the minority and I would be concerned if their position was your sole objective.

You don't give me reason to specifically believe that it is, but nor do I understand what your objective is.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So instead of Newcastle why don't you go ketogenic with maybe some intermittent fasting? try a 16:8 or even a 40:8 fasting regime. The fasting will kick you into ketosis quite quickly and then the low carb should help you maintain it? Just a thought and certainly not medical advice but.. what do you have to lose apart from a few pounds?

Reactions: 2 people

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys . Just so you are all clear. This is my current thinking prior to seeing the dietician (who may change my mind ). I've currently put my self on a low carb but not low cal diet. I have a very round tummy(I'm Apple shaped nort pear shaped, my waist measurement 2 weeks ago was 35 inches which is horrendous for a small person. )So I need to get the fat off my belly. A 'normal' diet doesn't do that in fact it seems to take the weight off all the other places. If the ND is correct then vl carb and cal should take weight from my stomach and hence improve my BG readings which are not good. I am not expecting a cute just better BG readings. I am also not intending to start the regime until I return from holiday on4/5(I like to plan ahead ). After finishing I am expecting to continue on low carb and lower Cals than I was consuming a month ago . I love measuring and monitoring (have a pharmacology degree and my job is lots of stats) so the ND or something similar may work for me. But I am unconvinced that 800 Cals is low enough . I'll look at all the links you sent me and hopefully with your wisdom and that of the web I will be well briefed before I see the Dietician. Does that make some sense or am I deluding myself ?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just an FYI, I too am an apple shape and recently I cut WAY back on fat and even LC veggies which of course reduced cals and I have lost a good amount of weight in 2 weeks but the best part is most of it appears to have come off my stomach. That nasty visceral fat. I am sure I am under 800 cals but I am not hungry. I am sure I am deep into ketosis where I have always done my best and I have reduced insulin by over 50% .When I was type 2 I LOVED fasting from dinner until 2 pm so a 4 or 5 hour eating window. It worked wonders for belly fat. Small lettuce salads were pretty much my only carbs most of the time. Then I topped the salads with moderate amounts of protein and some EVOO. For some reason I thrive on vey low cal diets and always have. Not just weight wise but energy, sleep, digestion, glowing skin, happier moods etc.
I am not suggesting you do it my way but rather sharing my experience.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I am unconvinced that 800 Cals is low enough .
You may find that more calories is actually better because it keeps your metabolism working better. The less calories you consume, the less calories you will burn. Yes you may lose weight initially but it may be difficult to keep that weight off. Try to think long term instead of short term. Your BMI isn't dreadful, you only need to lose a little weight.

Also be aware that whilst there are a few good dieticians out there, these are in the minority.

I would advise you to follow a lower carb diet and start it right now. Why wait? It's easy once you get into the swing of it. Try to think of it as a food plan for life too, not just a diet for a few weeks.

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing low carb already (for past 3 weeks (with a bit of a slip this weekend - I had a piece of cheese cake oops). My BG have gone down but nowhere near the safe range . From about 11 fasting to 8 which is why I'm thinking I need to do something more radical and then go back to low carb which (the odd cheese cake aside) in finding pretty easy .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing low carb already (for past 3 weeks (with a bit of a slip this weekend - I had a piece of cheese cake oops). My BG have gone down but nowhere near the safe range . From about 11 fasting to 8 which is why I'm thinking I need to do something more radical and then go back to low carb which (the odd cheese cake aside) in finding pretty easy .
Well that's pretty good progress for 3 weeks. :)

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And kristin I'm very similar to you . I only eat dinner. If I ate 3 meals a day id be rolling to work (and for those of you who think this is bad when I've tried 3 meal diets or just eating 3 meals the weight has gone mad. Think my body has been used to one meal a day since I was 14)I know that the issue is smaller portion size for weight management but for reducing BG I need something more radical than just low carbs

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It does take time to become more insulin sensitive but seems you're still maybe stuck somewhere. How low carb are you and what kind of carbs are they? Are you moderating protein?