Advice please on unstable blood sugars

Iainbridle64

Please can someone help? Am at end of my tether, i am so unstable at min with blood sugar levels ranging from 8.2 first thing to 16.7 then down to 4.4 then back up to 14.2. I do nothing different and dont eat anything naughty. Diabetic nurse said there is no problem but i feel so unwell all the time, tired and weeing constantly throughout the night. I am back tosquare one and feel like i was before being diagnosed. I am on twice daily insulin and metformin. I feel like am going round the twist nooone listening. Please advise. Thank you.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Can you give a few examples of your meals and drinks please? There can be a big difference in what the medical profession think is ok for us to eat and what people here try to do.

Are you overweight? Can you exercise?

I made changes a few months ago and feel so much better I'd be happy to try to help others feel the same too.

Cara

sparkyrich

Can't comment on the bs - the figures don't seem too drastic - but the night time rose watering I CAN empathise with. I too get to water the flowers four or five times a night. My GP says it probably isn't diabetes related (for a change, everything else seems to be) but it's related to being a bloke over forty. He's sending me for tests to double check but it might be worth asking your doc if it might be something similar?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Iainbridle64

Thank you for your replies;my diet i think is pretty healthy, i dont eat sweet stuff and i dont eat a lot of processed food either. I weigh about 14st which i dont consider myself overweight although my gp would call me obese probably, but nobody can explain why i wake up feeling lousy!! Every day is like groundhog day. Diabetic nurses say i could be like this for a long time,just fed up with feeling ill all of the time

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Do you eat a lot of carbohydrates? It can have a big effect on blood sugar. As I said one persons idea of healthy food and anothers can be very different.
What about drinks? Snacks?

The high sugar could be why you feel so bad.

I didn't think being overweight bothered me, I was pretty fit too. What is your BMI?

But after having lost 2 stones I feel much better.

Cara

Fraddycat

I agree with Carraway, I had exactly the same experience, I thought I was eating healthily but could not control my BGs or how I felt. I was eating Bran Flakes for breakfast, soup and a sandwich for lunch and spaghetti Bolognese for dinner. As prescribed by the nurse ... but it didn't help and my meds were being increased.

I changed my diet completely. Now I have bacon and eggs for breakfast, smoked sausage and avocado for lunch, steak with broccoli and cauliflower for dinner. I know have more energy than I ever had in my life, feel 10 years younger and have lost 3 and a half stone. I would 100% encourage you to change your diet to feel better.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thank you Fraddy cat! :D

It is a new way of looking at healthy eating

syb

I also agree with caraway after loosing 28lbs and blood sugars range 5.2.5.7.6.7 ,,,,this is all on low carb diet , the only highish GI I have is breakfast , 2 brown bread and porridge ,other than that it is a low carb diet , I agree food has a lot to do with bs :D