Advice please - thrush and yoyo levels!

Iolanthe

Dislikes
Carrots, parsnips, beans and pulses. People who don't get to the point!
Hi, hope someone can help please! I have recurring thrush, which I just cannot throw, I have bought three lots of the canestan cream and the tablets - cost me £36 over the last couple of weeks but it is just not shifting. I also had blood in my urine and have now done four urine tests, the last one was back on Wednesday but the doc has not looked at the results - and was told to call back next Tues by receptionist to get the results for this! This was after she muttered something about it being "load waste???" and it was probably fine?!!!! I cannot get an appointment as you have to go through "triage" the doc or nurse calls you back and determines if you are worthy of an appointment. You can only phone up between 830 and 1130 for an appointment, I phoned twice this morning between those times but no call back. I am not taking anything at all for my diabetes, as they have not yet decided what I should take, I have malabsorbtion as well and my GP wanted to wait three months to see what happened. Everything is going straight through at the moment, I look like hell, knackered but keep waking up at night - my levels are up and down like a yoyo - today for example we go from 11.8 to 3.8 within the space of 2.5 hours!

Is the recurring thrush a sign that the diabetes is not undercontrol?
Three urine tests with blood - why do they keep making repeat these and what hello is "load waste?"

Final irony my husband phoned for an appointment today - did not have to go through triage was just able to book one for tomorrow morning for 10am - his is just a minor thing.

I am now thinking about going down with him tomorrow and demanding to be seen. I feel so bloody emotional and tired.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Iolanthe said:
Hi, hope someone can help please! I have recurring thrush, which I just cannot throw, I have bought three lots of the canestan cream and the tablets - cost me £36 over the last couple of weeks but it is just not shifting.
This is a good link for thrush

http://www.womenshealthlondon.org.uk/le ... hrush.html

I do not understand why you are having to pay for over the counter treatments for your thrush when you are entitled to free prescriptions as a diabetic on medication.There are far more effective medications for thrush on prescription.

I also had blood in my urine and have now done four urine tests, the last one was back on Wednesday but the doc has not looked at the results - and was told to call back next Tues by receptionist to get the results for this! This was after she muttered something about it being "load waste???" and it was probably fine?!!!! I cannot get an appointment as you have to go through "triage" the doc or nurse calls you back and determines if you are worthy of an appointment. You can only phone up between 830 and 1130 for an appointment, I phoned twice this morning between those times but no call back. I am not taking anything at all for my diabetes, as they have not yet decided what I should take,

In earlier posts ,Iolanthe,you said you were on Gliclizide,has this therefore been discontinued?

I have malabsorbtion as well and my GP wanted to wait three months to see what happened. Everything is going straight through at the moment, I look like hell, knackered but keep waking up at night - my levels are up and down like a yoyo - today for example we go from 11.8 to 3.8 within the space of 2.5 hours!

Is the recurring thrush a sign that the diabetes is not undercontrol?
Three urine tests with blood - why do they keep making repeat these and what hello is "load waste?"

Final irony my husband phoned for an appointment today - did not have to go through triage was just able to book one for tomorrow morning for 10am - his is just a minor thing.

I would complain to the practice manager if you think that they are not giving you the appointment you require,make an emergency appointment ,don't go through triage!

I am now thinking about going down with him tomorrow and demanding to be seen. I feel so bloody emotional and tired.

Spiral

am not taking anything at all for my diabetes, as they have not yet decided what I should take, I have malabsorbtion as well and my GP wanted to wait three months to see what happened. Everything is going straight through at the moment, I look like hell, knackered but keep waking up at night - my levels are up and down like a yoyo - today for example we go from 11.8 to 3.8 within the space of 2.5 hours!

Iolanthe, elsewhere on these forums you have said that you are on a very low calorie diet, 700 calories a day. I understand that this kind of diet needs is usually medically supervised as it is very difficult to get the things your body needs to function properly at that level. I would hazard a guess that this may be why your BGs are up and down as well as the other things you mentined. Your current ills may be related to malnutrition.

Iolanthe

Dislikes
Carrots, parsnips, beans and pulses. People who don't get to the point!
I took Glicazide for 2 weeks, this was before the H1 blood test, then I was taken straight off and that has been it...In terms of prescriptions, I have to pay for mine, as I have not been prescribed anything I am not entitled to free prescriptions, my surgery will not sanction it. I have had to buy over the counter medication as I cannot get an appointment

pip

A lot of pharmacies in the UK work under a minor ailments scheme of which thrush is covered. The pharmacist can prescribe the thrush treatments over the counter as long as you have your medical number (you should be able to get this with a quick call to gp surgery if you don't know it). There is also a one tablet treatment which might work better for you - sorry can't remember it's name atm. This way you would only pay for the script (normal prescription rate) rather than for the creams etc which might work out cheaper for you. Hope this of some help and I hope you feel better soon. :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Iolanthe
are you truly only having 700 calories? that's very low and could cause you to be tired and depressed. I would have said that reduced carbs with a fairly normal calorie count would suit and usually would help with Thrush. Is this thrush of the genital area, rather than the mouth.? this could account for blood appearing in a urine sample. I would also suggest that you take extra hygeine precautions. That is cotton undergarments, which get laundered hot. Careful cleaning of you undercarriage after visiting the loo. Baby wipes are gentle and anti septic.
Aggressive hand cleaning. Keep a bottle of hand gel in your bag. and try taking cranberry tablets.
I won't guarantee this all will work, but it might well help. In the mean time. Check on who is doing this triage. If he/she isn't medically qualified, complain to your PCT.

sandymaynard

Hi
Thrush issue! I get that often myself! I usually use femfresh as a wash down there as it is ph balanaced! Then i wash that area 3 times a day with cool water not hot and not cold!
I also only get the canistan cream i find that works just as good! I also find that it does have alot to do with blood sugars!
This is how i have been able to keep my thrush under control!
I hope this helps!
Sandy

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Hi.

Thrush has been the bane of my life since dx 10 yrs ago. Lesser now that I have better levels but I still take Didlucan at least once every other month. It's usually a battle with the doc to get it prescibed, but it does work far better than and other treatment. Tesco do there own version (flucanizole) sp. for half the price , I have bought it a few times when not able to get to the docs.

Hope this helps