advice please

marie.T1

i have been off work sick because i have hurt my back. i had an attendance review on monday , at the review my employer kept bringing up my diabetes and the control of my diabetes. i wasnt off work because of my diabetes. he has also got my number of sick days wrong he said i have had 27 work days off but i have had 18 days sick which have been covered by sick notes off the gp. i was due to go back to work on saturday but i had a days holiday booked for the saturday so i went into work on the sunday. today my employer told me that i shouldn't have had that days holiday because when you are off sick you have to come into work and do at least 1 shift before taking holidays. my employer has also been talking about me to my co-workers about me having the days holiday. im supposed to be on light duties at the moment as my back is not fully repaired but employer keeps trying to make do lifting that i can't do at the moment. my question is is it right about starting back work before holidays and can my employer ask about my diabetes when i was off with my back?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi marie, not heard that before do not 100%. I have and know many other people who have been off sick and had holidays before going back to work as they were pre booked. Can't see that being right tbh as what if flights had been booked etc. think they making that one up lol. I do know also that if holidays are booked and you happen to be sick you can contact your employer to say you are sick and arrange your holiday another time. if you continue to have such problems be sure to contact citizens advice and keep some sort of diary. Good luck with everything.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Does your business have HR dept ? A union ? Employee guidebook or contract ? There is no single answer for this to be honest. Some employers are better than others. You are covered under the Didability Act with diabetes but to be honest, even that is very woolly ! Difficult situation and not easy to advise. Good luck !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

marie.T1

hi and thanks guys , im in the union at work and i will be ringing them in the morning ! im not sure how to get in touch with the company hr department. i could feel my blood starting to boil today at work but i kept calm!!! (it was difficult)

onthegow

Hi
I am not sure any employer can reflect on your time off being attributed to diabetes when it clearly is not. I would say if they have made that link they could find themselves in hot water. I would speak to your union and then get them to ask how they have come up with the link. If it is that it because you have diabetes and this is why your injury happened and they cannot link this I would pursue with some kind of complaint. Good luck I hate it when people link diabetes as the problem when it is not. I had something like this recently and I ended up with an apology. It's an easy out to blame diabetes for everything. If I did not have to tell my employer I had diabetes I think I would not even when they don't try to discriminate it happens because its the first thing that comes from their ignorant mouths when there is something wrong. You are not alone. Good luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

marie.T1

hi all i have spoken to my union , i was totally in the right to take my days holiday because i had booked it prior to my absence and my employer should not have brought up my diabetes because i wasn't off work with my diabetes!!! the union has advised me to write a letter to be put in my work file quoting everything the he told me and how it made me feel.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the update, good you got their backing and pleased you had the correct outcome.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
Having diabetes :-(
Just I case any further absences are required, have you tried to go through occupational health, if nothing else it will back up what you have said and your employer also has to abide what decisions the occ health nurse suggests . . . . . . It may be worth looking into.

good luck with what sounds like an ignorant boss x