Advice please?

Beezee

I take dapagliflozin in the morning, glicazide before meals and metformin after (twice a day).
I'm gradually introducing insulin to try to get my sugars low. Currently on 22 whatever's of humulin.

Today I haven't eaten properly, and feel a bit odd. Tested blood - 4.6 (old money) I've just eaten a slice of toast (but with glicazide and metformin because I needed to take my dose!)

My question is - would you take the insulin dose, reduce it or skip it when your blood sugar is low already?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
it is a real good question and ideally one that you should be talking about with your care team.
Insulin is quite a potent drug and should be treated with care.
however, it is also an essential ingredient in keeping us alive so should be taken as prescribed.

humulin is a mixed insulin and therefore normally is taken as a regime with eating as part of the dose.
were you planning to eat more or were you planning to not eat .
hard to judge without knowing fully your intent.

Beezee

Yes sorry, I'd left it too late to eat dinner, but when I tested I realised I needed to eat something!

I started the humulin 1 a month ago with the instruction to start at 10 units before bed and gradually increase the dose by 1 unit until my first sugar reading of the morning was 8 or less. No mention of taking it with food.

I'm diagnosed Type 2.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
my apologies -- there are actually 3 types of Humulin-- are you on Humulin N ? ( long acting so doesn't need food along with, or humulin 70/30 -- a mixed as I thought you were taking ?

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I am Type 2 and take 42 units of Humulin i Insulin every morning between 8 - 9am. And I take 2 x 500mg Metformin in the morning and another 2 Metformin in the evening, should also take 5mg Dapagliflozin -( but I stopped it 5 days ago as my urine had been burning for a couple of days).