Advice

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a bit of advice guys. I have really bad anxiety when it comes to going low, and I have had minor panic attacks when I’ve been low especially in public. Which also means I test my sugars on my meter literally all day... to the point my GP has said I’m using too many strips and if I continue I will have to buy them myself. So I have been looking at the Dexcom G4 or G5. Does anyone think it will be possible they will fund it on the nhs for me? Or if I buy the monitor, would they fund the sensors?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@emily deacon . I doubt very much you will get funding for Dexcom.
It's my belief that you would have to have total hypo unawareness to be considered for Dexcom funding.
I'll tag @catapillar who I think may be able to clarify more.

Reactions: emily deacon

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Is the libre cheaper? Some people do get NHS funding for that....

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Just a bit of advice guys. I have really bad anxiety when it comes to going low, and I have had minor panic attacks when I’ve been low especially in public. Which also means I test my sugars on my meter literally all day... to the point my GP has said I’m using too many strips and if I continue I will have to buy them myself. So I have been looking at the Dexcom G4 or G5. Does anyone think it will be possible they will fund it on the nhs for me? Or if I buy the monitor, would they fund the sensors?

Honestly, I would advise you to get a handle on the stress as it is big factor in increasing blood sugar a swell as being just a negative force in you physically, emotionally and mentally. Testing all the time is entirely unnecessary as well as impractical. If you record what you eat along with the readings before and a couple of hours after eating, you will establish patterns you can predict a little better and identify when/if hypos are likely at certain times. It's not foolproof...what is...but you need to be calmer to be in more control of the whole thing. One other thing...are you on any meds such as Gliclazide...as a drug like that can increase the likelihood of hypos in Type 2s particularly if you are eating too few carbs. Good luck.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice guidelines provide that CGMs should not be routinely offered to adults with type 1 unless there is hypo unawareness or extreme fear of hypoglycaemia - https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2 - to be honest, if you aren't under a psychiatrist for a hypo phobia I would suspect it's unlikely you'll get a cgm funded. If you want a cgm on the NHS you'll have to get your consultant endocrinologist to make an individual funding request to your CCG and then it's down to the CCG to decide whether or not it's funded and it's perfectly possible that it won't be funded.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Do you learn anything from the meter readings you've taken so far?
Meter readings are not just to see a number! Sensor results neither.
I get better bgs when I fill in my pen writing diary. Look at any common traits in my behaviour. Things I can change to improve my results!!
Learn to do this perfectly before taking even more readings!
Your hba1c must be currently not bad?