Advice

Shortbread

Dislikes
Assumptions, arrogance, bad service
Hi everyone,

I have been Type 2 for maybe 5 years or so now and had it under control and was doing well...It took me a while to get into it as I was in rebellion mode. However now for the last maybe 6 months or so, if Im honest could be longer I stopped taking my Metformin and have relapsed back into rebellion mode. I will be 40 in less than 3 months and need to get back on track mainly because I feel vile. Every day I feel sick, headachey, m going to the toilet maybe about 15 times a day and feel like I haven't had a drink in days even though Im drinking liquids constantly. I get light headed, sweat like mad and often feel like I will pass out. I am being stupid, reckless and very aware of this as my Blood Sugar runs between 14.6 and 23.7 most morning my fasting reading is about 16-17.5.

I am not stupid and I know Im destroying my health but I just cant seem to value myself enough to do something about it.

Im a qualified counsellor , so knw allthe ins and out of doing the right thing for me....

I just wondered if anyone at all has had this self sabotage and self destruct reaction to diabetes???

Any word of advice, empathy or similar would be greatly appreciated.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Ooooo I got a BIG RED button and I know how to use it . I am awkward, obstinate, and can see my **** at the drop of a hat. I can take a very long time to cool down even when its myself I have fallen out with . I hate being told what I should do and how to do it infact I will usually do just the opposite just to get up someones nose. And I hold a grudge for ever but will patiently wait to get even (with myself) . Infact I think the only reason im doing things right at the mo as far as the diabetes is concerned it because I have a score to settle with it lol and im going to give it a good clouting with the sugarfree noncarb stick! But I think most people with a rebelious side also have self destruct mode that sometimes cant be controlled.
Gool luck mate

Shortbread

Dislikes
Hiya Whompa,

Thanks for that it makes sense. I think a major issue is I am a woman and so many of us like chocolate...so when I'm told " Oh no that's not good for you", I eat it in incessant amounts. I'm also Glaswegian, so quite fiery and very stubborn so that really does not help :lol:

How did you get into that sugar free low carb mode??? I did so well last year with it and now it seems my good angel has retired or gone away long enough to let that wee devil back into my head.

Fraddycat

Hi Shortbread, you know the only person who can change you is you. But is it possible that you can start by having one good day in two? Taking control of your diet and health can make you feel really powerful, if you could manage it for a day or two you might find the strength to continue?

I found inspiration from reading Gary Taubes 'Why we get fat and what to do about it' and Robert Lustig 'Fat Chance' both are very scary and got me motivated!

Good luck, I know if you try hard you can do it!!

Shortbread

Dislikes
Hi Fraddy...Yep the whole weight gain thing, I know where it comes from, I know how to stop it....but I dont. I feel like such a fool because I am not stupid and yet here I am feeling like **** through my own fault. Slight concern about having such horrifically high blood sugars for 6 months or so. Still................. :***:

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Basically got into it through this forum and because my bgs were very high hba1c 102 and I think if it had been taken earlyer perhaps a month it would have been higher than that . But after a friend tested mte and my bg was 24.9 (only second time I had used a meter) it scared me silly and my mate said he thought with the bgs I was getting I was likely to be going on insulin . I decided that was not an option as I would have lost my licence , my job , my flat. Insulin is not an option so I went drastic with the low carb. And it has worked to the greater extent well along with metformin. But to be fair not sure how long I will be able to stick to it as I said when I started th at I was only realy doing it to get bgs down and dont realy think what I am doing is healthy in the long term but as a counceller I'm sure you can apreciate how fear can drive us . And I do think I have gotten to the stage where I am very apprehensive about re introduceing carbs into my diet . I guess I will just have to see where things take me?

Shortbread

Dislikes
Hello again Whompa.

Well done you then for sticking at it... :D My motivation and willpower are shocking. I can do the low carb when i get my head into it and can see the difference, but this time Im just a pain in the ****.

Fear is a very powerful driver...but seems lost on me at the moment. It is hard to get a balance when you try to get back on some carbs..wish you lots of luck with that, I am sure you will do great!

Fraddycat

Fear is deffo the key. I have been low carbing for a year now and stick to it pretty well most of the time, but was gutted at my last eye check to be diagnosed with background retinopathy. My grandmother and great grandmother (both diabetics) were both completely blind when they died, so I have to say I am pretty blooming frightened.

The complications/side effects of diabetes are horrifying - blindness, kidney failure, amputations, strokes, heart attacks ... really, really don't go there, you can take control and change your life, start now, its in your hands.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have also taken my destiny into my own hands after suffering 2 strokes a couple of years ago. I have low carb no processed food and the results seem to be going in the right direction

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Shortbread said:
Thanks for that it makes sense. I think a major issue is I am a woman and so many of us like chocolate...so when I'm told " Oh no that's not good for you", I eat it in incessant amounts. I'm also Glaswegian, so quite fiery and very stubborn so that really does not help :lol:

The answer might be to get a distraction and find a major new interest, something that you can immerse yourself in, something that you enjoy and which takes up a lot of your thinking time and takes up a lot of your doing time. Other matters, like getting hot under the collar about being told what to eat, just become irrelevant.