Afraid of drinking with friend she because of type 1 diabeties

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
I don’t want to sound weird but let me explain a situation the other day bassiclly Friday afternoon I was with friends who ended bumping into her classmate we all spent time together after eating dinner we went to a pub. However I’m too afraid to drink because I know if I drink it can cause my blood sugar to go low. My friend had to go she left. The other asked if I wanted to stay but I didn’t because I feel weird being in a pub when I don’t drink so left lying saying I left my bike lights at home and went home. However I feel like i should join but Im too afraid they’ll tease me for not drinking or push me to drink and I’m too afraid that if I drink. It’ll be dangerous for my blood sugar and other road users since I also cycle.
Any advice.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If you don’t want to drink then don’t. Take a deep breath and order a Diet Coke.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
no need to do anything, ever, you don't want to x well done you x

Reactions: Diakat
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Just say 'No thanks, I don't fancy any alcohol, but you go ahead' tbh, if they are true friends, they shouldn't mind in the slightest if you are not drinking.
Edited.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t want to sound weird but let me explain a situation the other day bassiclly Friday afternoon I was with friends who ended bumping into her classmate we all spent time together after eating dinner we went to a pub. However I’m too afraid to drink because I know if I drink it can cause my blood sugar to go low. My friend had to go she left. The other asked if I wanted to stay but I didn’t because I feel weird being in a pub when I don’t drink so left lying saying I left my bike lights at home and went home. However I feel like i should join but Im too afraid they’ll tease me for not drinking or push me to drink and I’m too afraid that if I drink. It’ll be dangerous for my blood sugar and other road users since I also cycle.
Any advice.
You're a T1 and you want to keep yourself from going hypo or crashing your bike and such... Which sounds quite logical to me. Nothing wrong with sticking with a diet coke or somesuch. I'm a T2, but I never did do very well with alcohol, so I just don't partake at all anymore. Usually stick with tea or sparkling water. It's the people I'm with that make it worthwhile going out, not the booze. (But that's a personal opinion.) If anyone asks, just tell 'em you've got medical reasons. That'll either shut them up or open the door to a little educational conversation. Either of which is okay. In any case, you're taking care of yourself (and in traffic, others as well), so... Good on you.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are aware that what you do to and with your body is your decision, right?
What anyone else thinks of that is of no importance.

I don’t drink and other people can’t handle that at all, that’s their problem, not mine.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of people chose not to have alcohol for all sorts of reasons and that does not mean they do not have an active social life or enjoy themselves with their friends.
If you feel comfortable explaining your reasons not to drink with these friends do so, if not then you do not have to.
Just order something non alcoholic and enjoy the company of your friends.
If the pleasure of your company is not enough for them or if they do not respect your choices then perhaps they are not the right kind of friends in the first place.
Staying healthy and safe has to be your priority and well done for acting responsibly.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Knowing your limits is as essential life skill - I’ll have two drinks and then it’s “nah, I’m done - it doesn’t agree with my meds” and I’ll switch to water or tea/coffee. Sometimes I have more and always regret it, as I spend the rest of the night and the day after feeling like hammered poo.

Galifrey

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
i didnt see anyone put this but cycling drunk can be a severly punished as driving a car intoxicated

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any advice.
As long as you know your limits, stick by them. I used to drink, now I don't bother! Too much effort, I spike and then crash, I enjoy diet coke, and that's good enough for me. Never feel peer pressure to drink, I am sure if your friends are real friends they will totally get it. You have to look after yourself, and I am sure your friends want that aswell, so I wouldn't worry about telling them, plus, if you don't drink, you won't feel hungover haha!