1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Afraid of drinking with friend she because of type 1 diabeties

Discussion in 'Young People/Adults' started by Lulu9101112, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Lulu9101112

Lulu9101112 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don’t want to sound weird but let me explain a situation the other day bassiclly Friday afternoon I was with friends who ended bumping into her classmate we all spent time together after eating dinner we went to a pub. However I’m too afraid to drink because I know if I drink it can cause my blood sugar to go low. My friend had to go she left. The other asked if I wanted to stay but I didn’t because I feel weird being in a pub when I don’t drink so left lying saying I left my bike lights at home and went home. However I feel like i should join but Im too afraid they’ll tease me for not drinking or push me to drink and I’m too afraid that if I drink. It’ll be dangerous for my blood sugar and other road users since I also cycle.
    Any advice.

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

If you don’t want to drink then don’t. Take a deep breath and order a Diet Coke.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Grumpy ole thing

Grumpy ole thing Type 1 · Well-Known Member

no need to do anything, ever, you don't want to x well done you x

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Just say 'No thanks, I don't fancy any alcohol, but you go ahead' tbh, if they are true friends, they shouldn't mind in the slightest if you are not drinking.
    Edited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You're a T1 and you want to keep yourself from going hypo or crashing your bike and such... Which sounds quite logical to me. Nothing wrong with sticking with a diet coke or somesuch. I'm a T2, but I never did do very well with alcohol, so I just don't partake at all anymore. Usually stick with tea or sparkling water. It's the people I'm with that make it worthwhile going out, not the booze. (But that's a personal opinion.) If anyone asks, just tell 'em you've got medical reasons. That'll either shut them up or open the door to a little educational conversation. Either of which is okay. In any case, you're taking care of yourself (and in traffic, others as well), so... Good on you.

6. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You are aware that what you do to and with your body is your decision, right?
    What anyone else thinks of that is of no importance.

I don’t drink and other people can’t handle that at all, that’s their problem, not mine.

7. pavlosn

pavlosn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A lot of people chose not to have alcohol for all sorts of reasons and that does not mean they do not have an active social life or enjoy themselves with their friends.
    If you feel comfortable explaining your reasons not to drink with these friends do so, if not then you do not have to.
    Just order something non alcoholic and enjoy the company of your friends.
    If the pleasure of your company is not enough for them or if they do not respect your choices then perhaps they are not the right kind of friends in the first place.
    Staying healthy and safe has to be your priority and well done for acting responsibly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Knowing your limits is as essential life skill - I’ll have two drinks and then it’s “nah, I’m done - it doesn’t agree with my meds” and I’ll switch to water or tea/coffee. Sometimes I have more and always regret it, as I spend the rest of the night and the day after feeling like hammered poo.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook