Afraid of Hypos make for high levels

HelenLouise

So i've worked abroad as a ski instructor, a greenskeeper then the joyful job as a housekeeper and through these jobs I have a habit of getting really worried about having a hypo that I always make my sugars high. This mainly happened working as an instructor when i'd get there in the morning, not too sure who i'd be teaching, sugars would be about 9, ok.... for a minute then i'd start eating, drinking sugary tea, until i was at about 15, go to the meeting place to see who/what i'd be teaching and this whole time i'd be eating skittles... out of control! I can't stop myself i get so worried, at lunch my sugars were in the high 20s pretty much everyday. When i get home they're fine. but all my jobs i worry i'm going to be a nuisance and not be able to work well. It got bad and I started to have panic attacks and feel competley out of my comfort zone which was silly as i'd been an instructor for 1.5yrs. Any way, i'm now looking for a job in the UK and am super worried that this fear is going to keep on going. Any one had this before?? or any tips???

I've had type 1 for 10years. On insulin injections.

josie38

HI,

I used to have similar fears so you aren't alone. I used to work 12 hr shifts in a busy shop and would worry about having hypos that i ran high too. It didn't make a good HBA1c and i used to lie to the consultant. I then stepped away from the job and evaluated myself. I realised that it is just fear and i was able to take time off and get myself back on track. I learned to recognise busy periods throughout the day and eat a couple of sweets for that period then test my sugars to make sure they were ok. I also found that going on a pump made me more aware of busy times.

What made me confront my fear the most was finding out i was pregnant when i had a high HBA1c and persistently hi sugars and the obvious dangers to the baby!!!!!!!

Sorry for rambling...........I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with this fear.

Josie

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's worth reading up on Dr. Bernstein's principle of small numbers. He uses small amounts of insulin and small amounts of carb to keep from getting in to the wild swings caused by worrying.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
HelenLouise said:
Any one had this before?? or any tips???

Much like yourself and Josie I did this myself when I was younger for fear of going hypo amongst friends and work colleagues, you could say it was like a comfort blanket knowing that having high bg made you safe from danger and embarrassment.....if only I knew then what I know now!

My tip would be to enroll on a type 1 education course such as DAFNE, here they'll teach you to estimate the carb value of your food and give the correct insulin to cover, courses like DAFNE have proven that they reduce the incidents of hypo's in patients and improves bg control overall, they also cover many other aspects of type 1 management such as basal insulin adjustment/testing, sick-day rules and exercise....to name a few.

Mileana

Having 1-2 glucose tabs in a pill box is one of the things that I've done to be on the safe side - I was on mix which was really troublesome, so I sort of had to if I wanted to go anywhere at all more than a mile, lol. But it goes anywhere, really - you can get some tiny half inch by half inch ones. They can be in a small pocket, or umm even in my sports bra if I'm running...

I guess my point is that even if I can't test just then or won't, if I am in doubt, I can eat them and though I almost always manage to test, I am sure a single unneeded spike a week or biweekly is better than constant highs.

I am much less paranoid about lows when I am on two types as I am now because I am getting fairly familiar with my levels, reactions and insulin/carb ratio and exercise intensity.

I have had 2.5 and so readings that I've certainly felt but not been unable to manage with a couple glucose tabs and asap after that a bit of slower carb and some protein. I have a lot of respect for lows, but I won't say I panic, nor blank out entirely.

I think I would do vigorous testing on weekends while being active similar to what you normally are and learn more about what intensity makes your blood sugar go up, and when you can expect a drop afterwards, and which activities just burn sugar without any 'pre-spike'. Make sure you have a small juice or sugar tabs or something like that on hand though.

I was told very very little about things when I started on insulin though, so my advice may be both good and bad. I would say that if you pay attention and keep your safety lines and/or a mate by your side, go out there and face your fear.

If you're used to high blood sugars, you may also feel the low coming already when you get down around 6-7 because your body will initially 'want what it thinks is normal'.

Test, really, and see what your body does.

I also agree that limiting or really scrutinizing your carbs in a meal, then only take the insulin you need will give you less overall ups and downs.

Good Luck.