Afrezza

Scardoc

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/lantus-maker-sanofi-buys-inhaled-insulin-afrezza.62954/

The news article don't always seem to get too many views so thought I'd comment on a new thread.

An insulin you can inhale? First I've heard of this and my immediate reaction was brilliant. However, having read a few articles online a couple of questions have surfaced.

Firstly, peak action in 15-20 mins - would this be too quick? Would it entail having to have a few goes over a period of time?

Secondly, in a diabetes blog it stated the following - used with existing treatment? I wonder if that means existing long acting insulin or existing long and rapid existing insulin?

"Afrezza’s an ultrarapid-acting insulin in powder form that’s designed as a pre-meal insulin for adults (not yet for kids) with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. It’s aimed at post-meal blood sugar spikes, meaning used with existing insulin treatment and not meant to be a stand-alone insulin treatment.

Certainly, amongst the benefits would be the removal of the stigma some people feel when injecting in public, no need for needles, no risk of lipohypertrophy, no bruised bodies and if and when, as I sometimes do, you have to take insulin on board during exercise it could be done on the run!

So, the future?

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You would still need to take a basal insulin if it's just a fast-acting insulin designed to take with your food.

You make some good points Scardoc on why it might benefit some and reduce the likelihood of lipohypertrophy, howver I just don't fancy inhaling insulin into my lungs as I'd worry about the long-term damage it could do to them, so for me I'd rather stick to the injections for now.

Reactions: 2 people

debbiiee

Any articles about the damage it does to the lungs available? Its nice to know about this inhaled insulin. Its so easy inhaling at public rather than injecting:cool:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scardoc

http://www.diabetesmine.com/2014/06...a-approval.html/comment-page-1#comment-793162

This is the blog I read, it states some of the concerns and lung cancer is right up there as the main one! Like everything, it may not be ready to revolutionise our treatment now but who knows what the potential is if they can refine it.

Unfortunately, as with everything, there's big bucks riding on this - $1BN potentially if sales targets are met which means a lot of people are going to get rich off it............which means lot of people may get sick off it!

I'm with you Noblehead in sticking to injections for now, although, as I have difficulty in finding new areas to inject I can't help but think it's be great to inhale or use both for a change.

Reactions: 2 people