My Great niece is showing symptoms of diabetes. She is 21 months old! Do you think this could be so or am i worrying too much. I was three when i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Does anyone know if a child of this age could have diabetes. The GP just told us she is too young and we would know if she had it. The only thing is that the only syptoms i had when i was three was an almighty thirst and frequent trips to the toilet. This is exactly the same as my great niece. Please help

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The only way to tell is for the GP to do blood tests.If you are so worried insist on these being done.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Not personally but i'm sure some of the type 1's here will be able to tell you.

Katharine

Sarah is right. Age or youth is no barrier to getting it. Extremes of age just make it less likely that you will be diagnosed quickly. If they are worried they need to check with their doctor.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
unmanningfraggle said:
The GP just told us she is too young and we would know if she had it. The only thing is that the only syptoms i had when i was three was an almighty thirst and frequent trips to the toilet. This is exactly the same as my great niece. Please help

Good grief. She is not too young. How would you "know if she had it" - by recognising the symptoms and getting her tested perhaps? It could be something else (e.g. diabetes inspidius - which is totally different from diabetes mellitus but with similar symptoms) but the way to find out is by getting her tested.