Aged 8 new type 1 diabetes - help

Pk8

Hi, I have a daughter aged 8 who has was diagnosed 6 weeks ago. Have also since found she has problem with wheat and also thyroids. Having a nightmare this week with hot weather. She is feeling faint and dizzy even when her blood sugar is 4.5. Going to reduce insulin tomorrow and make sure she drinks lots of fluids. Finding it really difficult

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi there and welcome. My son also has no thyroid function and has been taking thyroxin for 2 years. As your daughter is newly diagnosed she is probably quite used to high blood sugars so when she drops to 4.5 she would feel quite hypo. She should adjust if you can keep her a little higher and more comfortable for a few more weeks. If your daughter has just started thyroid meds it can also make them prone to hypo but it does settle.

Diabetes is very relentless but as time rolls on it does just seem to fit in with life in general. After 4 years I don't have that dread and panic feeling like the early days. Eating and drinking like normal should be good enough. I find my son needs less insulin in Summer as we are more active and I often find he can be hypo after a hot bath sometimes. Lots of parents here to help you out or vent to - visit the Youth Section.

Anyway, hang in there. Jen.

Pk8

Thank you for your reply. Today was better with no hypos. Diabetes nurse should have told us about hot weather impact on insulin. Long weekend ahead..

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Some people get the opposite affect and need more insulin in Summer so it is no wonder you were not warned. Everyone is different when it comes to diabetes and it tends to be more trial and error than anything. The bath/spa/sauna are well known for causing hypos - I think it is the blood vessels dilating but someone else may know the exact reason.

Glad you've had a good day and hope you have a good long weekend.