Air bubbles!!!

diabetty6911

Hi I am on an animas 2020 but find I am having air bubbles every day leading to high sugars. I keep the insulin vial out of the fridge and tap the cartridge ... Anybody else have this problem?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't have that problem, but am using the accu chek combo but don't think that would matter. I take my insulin our of the fridge at least an hour before filling the cartridge to slowly get it to room temp. The cartridge that I fill has a needle on the end to stick in the insulin vial. before sticking it in the vial pull back the plunger. Then, I stab it in the vial, slightly tilt the vial and fully press the plunger so the air goes to the back of the vial of insulin. Release pressure from plunger and the cartridge will automatically fill about half way, slowly pull back the plunger to completely fill the vial. Take the vial off, tap the cartridge to get any air bubbles to top of cartridge and press plunger in slowly to get bubbles out. I do put the vials back in the fridge afterwards, but again take it out about an hour before repeating above.
hope this helps as im not sure if you have the same cartridge etc.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Isobel94

I have that problem with every injection I have! I have tried to empty out air bubbles but they just won't come out! So my logic is to keep the injection tilted in such a way that the air bubbles are not near the needle (as in, at the bottom of the phial) as sometimes they have sneaked underneath where I couldn't see them :shock: so best to keep them where I can see them.

I do not have major problems with my sugars because of this. Perhaps it is not the best coping mechanism, however trying to get an air bubble out costs me quite a lot of insulin.

Izzy.